Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Sudden extreme pmt  (Read 2043 times)

Peroxideblader

Sudden extreme pmt
« on: March 26, 2018, 12:13:45 PM »

Hello I've been in peri for around 5 years now I think...I never suffered from bad pmt just mild tummy ache sore boobs but this last year it's AWFUL..I've been having my periods a week early for months but this month 6 days late ...but the cramps and nausea and aches I've been barely able to function..does it get worse in peri or is this something else 😣😣

Lalb1

Re: Sudden extreme pmt
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 12:43:08 PM »

Hi, I've been in Peri for about 18-22 months or so( I think) Have had problems periods wise since the weekend after i turned 40 ( i will be 44 this year- so on and off somethings been changing) I always had PMT, that was one of the reasons i went on BCP aswell as the length and flow of periods. Ive noticed that these last 6-8 months the PMT has been a lot worse! My cycle has changed again, so this month i was 9 days late. The aches are horrendous these last few months, i get the weirdest aches in the run up to my period and round ovulation (obviously when the hormones are changing) I have also started feeling very tired and shaky too. These all have to be peri related im sure. Hopefully some of the other more knowledgeable ladies on here might have some words of wisdom, or even just some words of wisdom to let us know that its normal. Hope something helps.

Peroxideblader

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 02:36:22 PM »

Thank you it's awful isn't it..I once read if you had bad pmt all your life it's worse in perimenopause but I've never had it this bad. Like you I get shaky light headed double vision feel all fluey and that's from ovulation right through til after my period.  Which when it's late means 4 weeks of feeling bloody crap.
I've got a partner I love to bits but he's sick and tired of the new me the ill one whose fit for nothing and low all the time. The 4 hours sleep for 5 years hasn't helped x

dangermouse

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 02:51:15 PM »

It could be anovulatory cycles if your period is late, I've been like that the last 4 cycles.

I've also never had PMT but would get spurts if intense irritation and anger when ostugen was surging and my mood was terrible last few months from mid cycle, where should have had the relief of ovulation but it constantly surged.

Back on my progesterone and it's all calmed down and I'm nice again!

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 07:08:57 PM »

Peroxideblader - sadly you are right that pms can get a lot worse in early peri-menopause - due to the bigger fluctuations in both hormones and your body reacting to sudden increases in and high spikes of oestrogen, low mood when it crashes down, side effects from the progesterone surge, and then the irritable headachey pmt symptoms as progesterone crashes just before a period. As Lalb1 says the BCP can help control the cycle so you don't feel like this - and is an option if you are in early 40's and no risk factors.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 07:23:32 PM »

Is it PMT ?   If so, then eat every 3 hours, 24/7 - to stop blood sugar levels dropping which can cause the symptoms you mention as well as intense nausea. 

True PMT only occurs prior to a bleed.

Peroxideblader

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 10:35:46 PM »

I can't take bcp as I'm almost 50 and smoke even though I'm fit slim and exercise alot don't drink ever...
And CLKD I know what your say8ng but it's not lack of food I'm a grazer all day and my diet hadn't change its only come in since my periods became irregular..and when I'm on a 3 week cycle it lasts from ovulation to last day of my period..maybe not pmt just peri in general. 
I still darent start hrt as it's mainly for sleep and there's so many posts on here people saying they get insomnia on hrt and if hrt stopped the pitiful 4 hours I'm getting I would just give up

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 10:34:18 AM »

But U are U, not anyone else !?!?! ........ what's to lose

How do you feel this morning?  What is the worst part of these symptoms, for me it was the nausea  :'(

Machair

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 03:11:09 PM »

I am the Queen of PMT and I mean the Queen. I have had very severe PMT all my life, but since being perimenopausal I am off the scale sometimes. I find I have to source lavender bath products and remove myself to the bathroom to soak! This helps. I love this product as it is absolutely lovely and very soothing and moisture giving- sadly out of stock just now but some more coming in soon.
https://www.freshyourbody.co.uk/bath_bombs_79/olivia_naturals_92/bath_chocolates_91/olivia_natural_lavender_field_bath_chocolate_349

I think when we get into peri and don't ovulate oestrogen can rise very high, and these symptoms feel just like PMT, and a bleed may not actually happen. With me I have often felt like a period is about to start for days and days and then overnight the feelings dissipate, especially now that I am in the very latter stages. Sometimes though I have had night sweats too then and a period has started following these symptoms.

I really feel for you because it is dreadful.