Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: 41 and post menopausal  (Read 2202 times)

Tina41

41 and post menopausal
« on: December 28, 2017, 09:11:59 PM »

Hi, I'm just new here... Feeling quite low at seemingly having jumped to post menopausal after a uterine fibroid emblasion procedure in March, had always hoped I'd perhaps have had another child. Struggling big time with no longer having the option to and with the moods and emotions I'm constantly experiencing.

Taz2

Re: 41 and post menopausal
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 12:20:21 AM »

Hi Tina41 - Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of support and advice on here plus friendship and humour and you wont feel so alone.

How was your diagnosis reached if you don't mind me asking? To be post menopausal you have to have been without a period for at least a year and as your ablation was only in March this puts you a few months short. Blood tests are often used but these are notoriously unreliable to give a true picture of where you are in the menopause stakes.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Tina41

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 11:33:53 PM »

Thanks for you reply 😊
It has been through blood tests both showing my fsh at 117?!!
I don't really understand much of it but have picked up my prescription today for Elleste Solo 1mg which I am to start taking.
Are you post menopausal?
Are you taking hrt?
Tina
X

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 12:01:39 AM »

I'm much older than you at 63 so I am post menopausal although I started HRT at the age of 53 when still having fairly regular periods. My FSH showed at 163 and I was told that I would never have another period but went on to have two more years of them which is why I don't believe that blood tests are always reliable.

I see that you have been given Elleste Solo - what progesterone have you been prescribed as you will need this to protect the womb lining even though you have had an ablation from what I've read in the past?

Taz x

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 08:03:57 AM »

I also started at 39 and stayed on hrt still on it am in my 50s I find the rub on gel and the utrogestan used for 12 days per mth a wonderful comibination for long term use it is important that you use HRT until at least into your 50s all the best.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 08:49:38 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM Tina41
I'm afraid premature menopause is far more common than people think. My meno started in my mid 30s - I'm now 61 ( so used HRT for around 25 years) and only stopped HRT 18 months ago. You need HRT to protect your heart and bones for the long term and to also prevent urogenital atrophy. Don't let any doctor take you off HRT until you are at least 52-54 when would normally become menopausal. Many women continue HRT well into later life to gain full benefit.
Do read up all the factual info on this site to get clued up - unfortunately nobody educates we women about menopause so the effects can be alarming, upsetting and sometimes frightening. This site is great for getting you through.
It is an emotional shock to find yourself into meno too early and the lack of oestrogen can mess with the brain and emotions as well. Once the oestrogen works it's magic you may feel better.
If you still have your uterus you will need a combined HRT regime with progesterone so I hope the gynae/GP have given you progesterone alongside the oestrogen? At this stage they could simply have given you an HRT that had both - I'm baffked as to why they only gave you oestrogen especially as you have had fibroids? Perhaps you have a Mirena in place ? The Mirena is good for preventing fibroids ( fibroids often occur in peri meno, I believe, due to the lack of ovulation). 
You say you ‘wanted another child', so do you already have children? I had fortunately had 2 babies, a girl and a boy, when my meno hit but I hoped to perhaps have a ‘luxury baby' in my later 30s - however, my son turned out to have special needs and having a baby when older does bring increased risks on many levels so feel another baby probably wouldn't have been a good idea.
Do look at another site that is for POF - daisynetwork - the link is on this site somewhere.
Keep us posted on your progress. DG x

Tina41

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 08:35:53 PM »

Hi ladies thanks for your replies. I have a mirena cool so that's why I'm on the solo. My symptoms have lessened now thankfully.
I have a son yes but had always wanted another child! Guess it's grandchildren I'll now be looking forward too!
Really appreciate your messages.
Thanks xx

Emerald2017

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 10:38:19 PM »

Hi Tina and welcome! I'm a bit older than you, 42 and on hrt. I diagnosed a year ago. I found my diagnosis too devastating...I'm single and childless but things get better with time! Hope find the forum helpful! It is for me! :)

Loubie77

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 10:59:21 PM »

Hi Tina

I too always thought I would find the time for more children but never did. I have one daughter. I know what you mean I felt like I'd been knocked sideways when I knew it was a final full stop on my baby days and I've also found there's a million babies around my friend circle too at the mo. I'm 40 and I'm struggling with all this change but I've found this forum this morning and I posted and never thought about getting a reply but I did and it made me see there's other people going through their own stuff but found the time to reply to me. I'm so glad I found this site it should come preprinted on the hrt slip.

L xx

Dorothy

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 06:29:51 PM »

Sending hugs - it's a horrible shock to be diagnosed young, but you do adjust.  It won't always feel this difficult.

I was diagnosed at 39, now 42.  There are quite a few 'early' people around here and the support is wonderful.