Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Newby really struggling  (Read 1788 times)

Loubie77

Newby really struggling
« on: March 22, 2018, 04:35:38 PM »

Hello Ladies
I am 40 and was diagnosed as going through the menopause 4 months ago.  I know I don't need to tell you all how I feel but I'm really struggling.  Fed up tired feel ugly and big and old to name a few.  My boobs are driving me mental and now the dr thinks I may have too much oestrogen.  Sometimes when my family are speaking all at once I feel like screaming as I cannot concentrate on anything if there is noise.

I'm sorry its not a more positive Hello guys!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newby really struggling
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 04:45:52 PM »

Hi!  Sounds about normal  ::)

Have a look-see at the 'treatment' section above.  Browse round.  Make notes. 

Some ladies find keeping a mood/food/symptom diary is useful. 

dangermouse

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 04:56:00 PM »

Doctors don't tend to offer solutions for the high oestrogen phase of peri, the combined pill, mini pill or Mirena coil can calm your own cycle down if you can tolerate any of them.

Away from the NHS, I use a privately prescribed high absorption progesterone cream to keep things more natural and it works incredibly well. No longer have swollen breasts, overheating, migraine nausea and overwhelming feelings. I just get a little of my symptoms mid cycle but had a really great month now I'm taking it twice a day without any breaks.

Another option your GP may allow you to have is a high dose HRT to also override your cycle like the pill. I've not tried this as preferred to avoid more oestrogen (as my high levels have already caused liver growths) and if I want to try it when post menopause then it may be more effective.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 05:02:51 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM

My menopause started in my mid 30s - I am now 62 and used HRT for 25 years. Premature meno is far more common than many realise - so you are not alone.

If you have been diagnosed as menopausal and then told you have too much oestrogen, this doesn't make sense!!!! You are probably low in progesterone and this will cause erratic bleeding and fluctuations in hormones, resulting in low mood and irritability .

Do read up all the info on this site to clued up.
The meno can really ‘mess with the head' - so by getting informed about what is happening and then making positive choices about treatment you will be able to find a good way forward. The first thing you need to tackle is lifestyle choices, so getting a good diet and exercise program in place is essential and this can simply be regular small, highly nutritious, meals that are low in fat and sugar and brisk walks of 10 mins three times a day, as a start.
HRT can stabilise your hormones so look at the HRT options. Start low on something like Femoston 1/10 or ask to try Qlaira or Zoely which are BCPs with bio identical oestrogen and these can be excellent in the peri meno stage. 
As dangermouse has suggested , the Mirena is a good option and you can then simply add oestrogen as gel or patch as needed.

Do read this excellent article about the peri menopause stage as it will give you much of what you need to know:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/articles-mainly.php#perils

DG x

Loubie77

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 07:46:21 AM »

Thank you so much to you all for reply to my post. I was having a down day yesterday. I should have said my dr has me on the mini pill and oestrogen patches. She thinks I've had depleted levels for so long that now I've got high levels my body is like woooah!!! I do keep all this to myself as I just think people don't really understand the effect of hormeones and I think that's why some days I feel very burdened with it all. My diet is rubbish too because every time I feel down I eat rubbish as a treat. I struggle with concentration and background noise it just seems I want to sit in a quiet room and I'm scared if I say that to my partner or daughter they might think I've finally gone round the twist.
Thanks again everyone for replying it's good to know there's somewhere I can go where people think Yep I know exactly what you mean.

L x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 08:08:26 AM »

Loubie - I quite understand how you feel but it can be really helpful to tell those close to you what you are going through so they understand. The menopause can seriously mess with your head and getting the right balance of HRT can be tricky.
Taking progesterone as the mini pill all the time may not be good for your low mood so perhaps consider having a Mirena fitted and keep using  the oestrogen patches. The Mirena may be better for your mood as less is absorbed systemically - finding the right level of iestegn to use is trial and error and you may still be peri menopause so the fluctuations can make things difficult. What dose are the patches you are using?  Are they 50 or 75?
Reaching for comfort food is probably the worst thing you can do as will not only make you put on weight but this will give you highs and lows with blood sugars and cause low mood and irritability.
Please, please try to change how you eat and get a bit more exercise as this will not only help your general health but would improve you confidence.
Keep us posted. DG x

Roseneath

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 08:46:58 AM »

Hi Loubie. Welcome to the club...I've been struggling with perimenopause for a couple of years and mentally it really sucks. I go through periods when I feel tearful and can't cope. I've felt ' foggy' in my head or my thoughts race. I have had weeks of feeling fine for no apparent reason then the paranoia and anxiety hits again. I have tried many things and have come to the conclusion there is no magic pill or regime. Yes try to eat well, exercise etc but it is so hard to do this when your head is in a bad cycle and easy to do this when you feel fine. You are not alone though and this site gives lots of support.

Jeepers

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 04:41:09 PM »

Hi Loubie

I echo whatt DancingGirl says.  Eating healthily will make a bitg difference, not only physically, but psycholigically.  Wehn I eat well, it gives me a sense of control which is in pretty short supply with meno.    I have a lot of sugar crashes if I eat badly (I'm not a saint!).

I understand what you are saying about not sharing with anyone.  I can't talk to anyone about my meno, and coming here is the only time I can talk about it.  This site is such a good place

Jeepers x

Loubie77

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 10:53:59 PM »

Thank you everyone your all so kind in taking the time to reply. Tomorrow is not going to be foggy I'm not going to let it be. Had a good cry in the bath tonight so ready to face the weekend with my ‘hide all' smile. I have read the article dancinggirl and it does make sense of the changes day by day. Sleep well ladies thanks again

L xx