Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New and hi  (Read 3881 times)

Dancinggirl

Re: New and hi
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 08:16:52 AM »

Serenity - the Vagifem should be used at least twice a week for the rest of your life if you want to prevent further  problems. Vaginal
Moisturiser used alternately with the Vagifem is also advisable.
The deterioration of the vaginal tissue continues once oestrogen is withdrawn and bladder problems can become worse as well. This local oestrogen will help the prolapse a bit as well I believe. If you want to keep your urogenital area healthy then I would keep using the Vagifem and vaginal moisturiser (SYLK or the YES products are the best) as the NICE  guidelines recommend.
DG x
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:01:08 AM by Dancinggirl »

serenity now

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 08:23:40 AM »

Thanks DG - that's disappointing, but understandable - why didn't the consultant say this ?!!  Really frustrating that they are too busy just to spend a couple more minutes giving the correct information. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 09:05:14 AM »

There definitely needs to be an NHS leaflet explaining the symptoms and treatments for urogenital atrophy. Too many women are suffering in silence or not nor getting appropriate help from their doctors.
Local oestrogen should be offered routinely to all women when meno hits as it would prevent so many long term problems. DG x

serenity now

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 09:35:04 AM »

i agree - we know nothing about it until it actually affects us or our family and/or friends....

The good thing is that I am becoming slowly educated more about the importance of pelvic health and how it impacts women as they get older.  I will be looking at how I can incorporate this into how I teach yoga as well - maybe i can help more women as I learn more..

Dancinggirl

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 10:07:35 AM »

serenity - you can do so much good by spreading the word. I find myself mentioning these problems with so many women I meet - when appropriate, of course. It is terrible how few GPs link constant UTI symptoms with atrophy and dish out antibiotics  every time a middle aged women turns up with UTI symptoms.  Even the urologist, who did my cystoscopy, only casually mentioned that oestrogen ‘might help' the awful burning I was suffering from.  The appropriate treatment and management does help but the message must get out there to all women.  Sorry for the rant.  DG xxxx

JaneinPen

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 10:25:13 AM »

I agree with all the comments. After continuous UTI's that would not stop a savvy gp at my practice put me on vagifem and also directed me to this site. I thank her after months of pain and discomfort and not being able to go far without knowing a loo was available. You will need to continue this for life Serenity but at least your ladybits should feel good. Like dancinggirl I also have friends around the same age and it is something we have discussed and they have got treatment too so we do need to spread the word especially when some of the practices do not have a clue and just dish out antibiotics which is what had been happening to me until I spoke to the one in the practice that finally helped me. Interestingly it was the first woman gp I spoke to as most of ours are men. Being 66 when this happened I am sure had some bearing on how the UTI's were treated.

serenity now

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 12:10:46 PM »

So glad it worked for you - seems like so many women are benefitting with it.   Wish they'd change the name though.  ;)

My quandary is that other than a bit of bleeding every year or so i don't have any other problems - but that's a whole different conversation with my GP I suppose....

Pages: 1 [2]