Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Midlife madness  (Read 1216 times)

Deborah1967

Midlife madness
« on: March 20, 2018, 12:32:16 PM »

Hi everyone,
I'm new here, at last, after forgetting my password an embarrassing 6 times.
I'm 50 years young and after suffering anxiety, depression and being agoraphobic for 3 years, being prescribed numerous anti Ds that done nothing but make symptoms worse, I went to gp this morning to talk about the possibility of starting HRT and to my shock, actually got a prescription for elleeste duel. I'm now asking myself why I've read then googled the side effects.
I'm a bag of nerves and reluctant to take the green ones already.
I've had minor hot flushes, hair has thinned out drastically, body feels like I'm in my 80s with every joint in pain but the worst symptom I'm having is moods. I've always suffered bad mood swings but my temper is on another level. It scares me. I'm either ready to burst into tears or rip someone's face off with a cheese grater.
Any and all advice is welcome.

Snoooze

Re: Midlife madness
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 04:40:02 PM »

Hi Deborah,

I suffer badly with health anxiety and find it hard to take medication because I read the enclosed leaflet and convince myself I have all the side effects! I was offered HRT when I was first diagnosed with peri menopause and haven't taken up the offer yet as again, I read side effects or problems and convince myself I will get them.

I have same symptoms as you, it's all part and parcel of peri I'm afraid.

Hopefully someone will be along to reassure you about HRT.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 04:42:45 PM »

What's to lose?

I worried a lot about taking medication.  Since the mid-1980s I've had to take ADs and Anti-anxiety medication.  I would take ages to take The Pill it would sit in my palm through at least 3 cups of tea until I dared to swallow it.  Still here >wave<

Some ladies find keeping a mood/symptom/food diary useful!  Browse the treatment section above.  make notes!

Deborah1967

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 05:22:43 PM »

Thankyou, you are right. I have nothing to loose. Keeping a diary is a good idea.  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 07:15:52 PM »

Let us know how you get on!   :foryou:

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 07:59:46 PM »

Hi Deborah1967

:welcomemm: from me too.

I agree that looking at all the side effects on the patient leaflets is not good for anyone. When I first got vaginal oestrogen (many moons ago!) I was totally put off - especially as they have all the warnings for full HRT on there. I did take the plunge eventually and surprise surprise - nothing bad happened. Here I am 12 years later having been on full HRT for 11 of these and now in mid 60's!

Try not to anticipate problems from the combi tablets - remember that it is only women with problems that tend to come on here so you get a distorted view. Also these products have undergone extensive trials before release and if most women suffered negative side effects they wouldn't have gone on the market and if they had, they would be withdrawn for commercial reasons as women would vote with their feet and stop taking them!

What have your periods been doing over the same time scale ie 3 years? If they have been going awry in cycle length and amount of bleeding then in the absence of specific life events causing it, your anxiety, depression and agoraphobia may well have a hormonal cause and the docs should not have prescribed ADs before HRT (NICE Guidelines specifity this). When periods are still regular then it can be difficult to decide what's what - although your age would be an indication that menopause is looming.

Anyway I hope they work for you and do report back :)

I have visions of a mad woman with cheese grater in hand - not an image that I've ever encountered  ;D

Hurdity x

Deborah1967

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 10:19:41 AM »

Thankyou for your reply.
4 years ago I underwent a triple treatment for hep C which coincided with the start of my mental health problems. It's hard to differentiate between that and this menopause malarkey lol.
My periods started getting heavy and more painful. My hair thinned, grew back, thinned again. Insomnia has been constant and sleeping pills don't help. I'm paranoid, thinking my wife of 14 yrs is cheating on me and the rage inside is getting out of control. I don't want to be this person anymore.

I'm on period at the moment and don't know whether to wait till it's finished before starting my hrt, or just start them today.
 :-\