Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: does hrt im prove skin hair etc ???  (Read 24236 times)

kerrieann

does hrt im prove skin hair etc ???
« on: November 23, 2011, 10:27:21 AM »

hi opinions again please i have heard  people say women on hrt look so much better than those not on it does anyone feel hrt improve your skin etc or is it just that these ladies feel better and it shows  :)

coffee mate

Re: does hrt im prove skin hair etc ???
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 11:29:39 AM »

Having had oily skin all my life,  I had noticed when I reached my late 40s and before I started taking HRT, that it had gone much drier, I had to use a heavy moisturiser.  Since using HRT it's become oily again, which when I was younger I hated, but now I am thankful for.
My hair and nails seem to grow much faster too. Like Susan I too didn't start HRT tlll I was almost 53, nearly 12 months for me now.

So I think I can say hrt has helped my skin, hair and nails - but not my mood!  ;D

KatieLiz

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 07:12:45 PM »

I've taken HRT for one month and I've noticed my nails are better, they were splitting and breaking but now they feel stronger.  My skin and hair haven't noticeably changed but after a few days on HRT I thought I looked less strained and tense.

Bette

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 09:33:51 PM »

Skin less dry, gums seem to have stopped receding (eek!  :o ), hair growing very quickly and very thick. (I mean on my head thankfully.  ;D )
Bette x

suziq99

• GBX Marine
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 10:10:35 AM »

I used to have a very spotty back, which has cleared up, nails as brittle as usual. Hair has always been thick & curly, no change there.
Yes gums are much better, used to bleed a lot.
Eye bags much reduced, but that could be because I lost a bit of weight ?

Suzi

silverlady

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 10:14:16 AM »

Yes it does, no doubt about it, if its the right HRT.

Along with a healthy diet with plenty of protein, vits and mins.

silverlady x

Winterose

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 06:13:43 PM »

For me my Estradot 75 which I change every 3 days has improved my hair and skin which positively glows, it has stopped the hot flushes and helps me sleep well and if you are getting your sleep you can cope with anything.

Bette

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 06:17:19 PM »

if you are getting your sleep you can cope with anything
How true, Winterose.  :)
Bette x

silverlady

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 07:26:25 PM »

I really agree with that, sleep is the holy grail.

Love your forum name Winterose.

Silverlady x

viv

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 08:08:40 PM »

My hair and skin are better and my gums no longer bleed when I brush them They were receding quite badly which I hated. My nails are great and I think I look better, but like some of the others its because I sleep well.

It has not done much for my aching joints although I wonder how bad they would be if I were not on HRT at all  :-\

Honeyb
x

Katia

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 03:53:18 PM »

I'm just wondering if we have any upto date thoughts on this?  I'm stuggling with my skin since going on hrt.  It's always been clear, but I think the up and down peri hormones are making me break out.  Anyone have skin improvements and hair improvements and what are you using?  Many thanks.  This is really stressing me out.

Loubylou

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 04:31:04 PM »

I was wondering about skin too. I've only been on hrt for 1 month. My skin is really dry and my teeth and nails are weak. I'm on oestrogel and wondered when it would start to look better? How long does it take?

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 05:33:35 PM »

It's not a cure-all Loubylou but do give it time :).  There is a myriad of reasons why your skin, teeth and nails are not in great condition. Eating a good varied balanced diet with lots of fresh ingredients including copious amounts of fruit and veg, as well cutting down on carbs, unnecessary fats and fatty foods, and sugars - will do you the world of good as some vitamin and mineral deficiences can cause skin and hair problems. Fresh air, plenty of exercise including weight-bearing and body conditioning, drink lots of water, no smoking, limiting alcohol, getting enough sleep - are also crucial! However you cannot reverse the ageing process although you can work hard to do the best you can for yourself and your skin/hair!

If you've done all that and taking HRT and still having skin problems - then a visit to the doc would be in order to rule out other conditions - for example underactive thyroid can cause these symptoms, but in this case you would also be feeling unusually cold and also have weight problems not due to diet and lack of exercise.

Hurdity x