Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Elleste Duet (again)  (Read 2297 times)

sadielouise78

Elleste Duet (again)
« on: March 06, 2018, 09:51:30 PM »

Hi. I read a lot on here about people struggling on the green tablets but feeling wonderful on the white ones. I seem to be experiencing the opposite. For years my periods have been gradually getting lighter, less frequent and hardly any pain. Since I've been on this HRT I'm finding on the white tablets I'm bleeding heavily, having terrible cramps, bad headaches and really spotty. On the green ones all this eases a bit, although the bleeding isn't stopping. They've sorted out my night sweats and grumpiness though. Anyone else have these issues?

Dancinggirl

Re: Elleste Duet (again)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 10:10:52 PM »

You are getting withdrawal symptoms from the progesterone but you shouldn't be bleeding for such along time.  The withdrawals bleed should start about 2-3 days after finishing the progesterone phase and last about 4-6 days.   AS you are still peri, your own cycle may be still controlling things a bit.   It might be worth considering having a Mirena fitted as this will usually stop bleeding and allows you to use oestrogen as pills, patch or gel alongside. DG x

Tiddles

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 07:26:56 AM »

Hi

I haven't been on HRT very long at all but so far, I bleed at the start of the white tablet (oestrogen) phase and it's very similar in terms of amount, duration and discomfort to when I was having normal periods before perimenopause.

For me, the 'nastiness' of the green tablet (progesterone) phase was 3-4 days of bad headaches, nausea and upset stomach.  If these side effects don't get any worse I can cope with them now I know what to expect because the positives I'm experiencing from the HRT far outweigh the negatives.  If the negatives get worse I'll see about changing to a Conti brand but I'm going to give it the full 3 months before I make any decisions.  I'm tracking all my symptoms daily on a spreadsheet so I can be sure what's happening.  I've found that really useful. x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 09:53:18 AM »

Tiddles - Things may well settle for you as the body will still be adjusting to the HRT over the next few months.  Conti versions of HRT can sometimes be more problematic in terms of headaches, low mood, erratic bleeding etc. so I wouldn't be too keen to believe the conti will be better.   You can only move to a conti version of HRT is you have been, at least, one year free from natural periods or over 54.
What HRT are you taking? If is it Elleste, then I'd perhaps consider moving to Femoston.  DG x

Tiddles

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 10:09:17 AM »

Many thanks Dancinggirl.  I'm on Elleste Duet 1mg.  I'm 56 and had been period free for 7 months before starting on it. Knowing my GP he chose it 'cos it's the cheapest :-O If I need to change I'll ask for Femoston as you advise.   :-D x

Tiddles

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 10:12:33 AM »

Hang 0n .... I'm 57  ;D ;D ;D

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 01:57:25 PM »

Tiddles - it's always better to start with the sequential HRT so you can tell whether the progesterone suits you or not.  If you feel OK on the progesterone, after 3-6 months of using the sequi version, you can then try the conti version. Despite your age, if you have only gone 7 months without a period, a sequi HRt would be best. Many women choose to stick with a sequi HRT regime to avoid the progesterone side effects. DG x

sadielouise78

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 11:06:47 AM »

Hi. Thanks for your replies. I've had the mirena coil before and had awful problems with it. After 9 months I was on all fours in agony having, what seemed like, contractions as my body was rejecting it. I also had awful problems with bleeding. So I'm a little wary about trying it again. It was a nightmare getting it put in too as I've not had kids. I'm on day 25 of the pack of elleste duet now and still bleeding which is a pain in the bum! I've got an appointment on Tuesday to see what the doctor says.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 11:56:25 AM »

I think a scan may be a good idea to see if you have fibroids? Let us know how you get on at the GPs.  DG x

sadielouise78

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 07:36:51 PM »

I've had a scan recently and I have a couple of small fibroids but nothing to worry about. I'm seriously considering ablation. It's been mentioned a few times.

sadielouise78

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 11:45:48 AM »

Hi.  Just an update on this post.  I went back to the doctors and she was at a loss so emailed our menopause guru who suggested I went onto Evorel Sequi which I started last Thursday.  I was two days into my last pack of Elleste Duet so just swapped over.  I have had a period as of last Thursday (quite painful and heavy to start with) and am still bleeding now but it is a lot lighter an hopefully it will stop in the next few days.  It feels bizarre having a piece of plastic stuck on my bum!  But I've no more headaches.  I also had blood tests to see if I was anaemic but they all came back fine.  So fingers crossed this is the one for me!  Thank you all for your help.  :D