Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Need some advice Please  (Read 2135 times)

pepperminty

Need some advice Please
« on: March 15, 2018, 06:14:11 PM »

Hi Ladies, I haven't been on for a while. I am taking femosten 1/10 and adding half a tablet of Zumenon which is the oestrogen only part of femosten every other day, which seems to suit me.

I tried increasing the dose to add half a tablet every day to my pack but I got terrible period pains and longer periods.

I am now suffering from a very sore and painful vulva area . I had the same thing 4 years ago and the HRT cleared it up along with hydromol ointment and 1% hydrocortisone ointment. I think my bits down below need some more oestrogen in the form of HRT, but any increase above what I am on now I have awful periods.
 Vagifem hasn't worked on its own.

I have seen a hoo ha dermatologist and she says that it all looks ok down there except I am very very dry.
Inside is ok! Should I look to change my HRT to a stronger one with a different delivery method? Or will I still get painful periods etc. It is burning down there and causing me a lot of anxiety at the moment. I don't want it to get worse and be as bad as before.

Will a change of HRT help?

Thanks Pepperminty

Dancinggirl

Re: Need some advice Please
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 08:42:22 AM »

This is classic urogenital atrophy and needs a range of strategies.
You definitely need local oestrogen and Vagifem is the best and possibly some additional Ovestin or Gynest cream to be applied to your external areas. Vaginal
Moisturiser is essential - SYLK or the YES products are the best but must be used at different times to the oestrogen treatment or it can effect absorption.
DO NOT USE any cortisone creams or treatments on your intimate areas as this thins the skin and will make things worse.
It is vital to maintain a healthy flora balance in the vagina to avoid irritation and all these measure will help.
Avoid any acidic drinks including fruit juices or caffiene. Drink lots of water.
Clean really well after opening your bowels.
If you feel you need to increase your oestrogen And also solve your heavy periods, then having a Mirena fitted might be your best option. You could then use Oestrogel daily and as much as you need and this might be more beneficial for your VA.
Buy some SYLK for daily use and possibly some Multi Gyn Actigel ( this helps get the flora balance right but don't use all the time) - get online - to start your healing process. You could try some coconut oil - just the stuff you can cook with - as this can be a great moisturiser and healer. Get some local Oestrogen from you GP. DG x

pepperminty

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 05:17:41 PM »

Thanks DG for the advice. The Gp and the dermatologist advised me to use the hydrocortisone ointment previously. I have got a sample of moisturiser YES, and will try to get some on prescription too. I tried the mirena previously and had to have it removed due to swelling in the legs - like tree trunks.

Pepperminty x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 06:53:22 PM »

Do read the various threads on vaginal atrophy on here.  GPs often have NO IDEA!  :bang: but her time will come  :rofl:

4 me it was like razor blades up there.  Continual treatment has been good at easing symptoms.

This HRT is different to other types as it is applied locally, i.e. into the vagina regularly.  Along with other treatments if necessary to keep the outer vagina soft.

pepperminty

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 07:38:05 PM »

I have vagifem, and will persevere.  My bits down below are not white and thin as described for atrophy, they are plumpish and bright red!  That is why I was a bit unsure as to what it was. I think I am into menopause now and my natural oestrogen has said its last hoorah, so maybe that is why it ( the burning vulva) has come back.

I have popped on some Yes and no side effects so far. I reckon I may need stronger HRT.

I have noted that a few ladies have mentioned that they have had more painful periods whilst on Femosten 2/10. I wonder why Femosten in particular. Even though in a low dose it seems to have less side effects?

I just hope it improves soon.

And yes CLKD I too had the knives inside when they tried to do a smear 4 years ago, and no one told me that it was VA at the hospital, they all looked surprised as if that was unuasl and that was a gyni clinic!

Peppermintyx