Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Periods at 55 ?  (Read 4036 times)

Dottyaboutdurham

Periods at 55 ?
« on: March 12, 2018, 05:42:03 PM »

Hello everyone.......
Gosh where do I start ?!!!!

This all started about a year ago, I had a couple of blood tests 6 weeks apart after visiting GP to say how I was experiencing energy dips, brain fog, mood swings and poor sleep ( perhaps a few other things I have forgot !) I was told I no longer needed to take the pill, which I had been taking for about 20 years for contraception and to ease POS/mild endometriosis. The doctor tried me on a few brands of HRT tablets over 10 months but I experienced stomach cramps and weight gain so I decided not to bother with any. In the meantime I have had two mini periods since coming off the pill a year ago, then about an hour ago noticed a third period happening ( again spotting). At the end of last year my GP did send me for a womb biopsy and scan which came back okay, infact my ovaries looked clearer and better than when I was 30 !!! I am now 55 years old and really concerned about having these periods albeit scanty and several months apart. Last week I had a follow up with a consultant who says I can try HRT in a gel form.
Anyone else had periods round my age ? I honestly thought I was never going to have any more !
I am waiting for my GP to come back from her holidays and then get an appointment to see if she can decipher my blood tests and see if what I am experiencing is not off the wall ha ha !
Well folks that's it, hope you could understand me.....don't even seem to make sense to myself these days  >:( ;) ::)

Shadyglade

Re: Periods at 55 ?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 05:47:51 PM »

Yep. Last one at 56yrs 6mths.

You are not alone.  :bighug:

Machair

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 07:33:27 PM »

You are not alone see my previous thread here!
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,36765.0.html

Are you having any hormonal symptoms such as copious cervical mucus or PMT before these bleeds? My periods are now far apart and scanty but I am still having severe PMT like episodes around them and night sweats occur then too. I am 57 but there are ladies who were even older on my thread.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 07:39:44 PM by Machair »

knorman

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 08:51:22 AM »

Morning Dottyaboutdurham

I think there are a few of us about!  My periods became so heavy and 'going into labour' painful that I ended up having an ablation and hysteroscopy at 54. Period free and then the buggers came back after 7 months, I was a tad upset! The woman that had been doing my ultrasounds told me that hers had finished at 56, which is exactly the age mine ended naturally.  So, if they are not causing you excessive pain or bleeding and your scans have come back ok, it sounds perfectly natural, if a little disconcerting.  I did keep thinking that at 55 I was far too old to still be having periods and found it rather puzzling, but some of us do not fit into what is considered the norm!

Shadyglade

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 09:18:43 AM »

I personally think that the 'average' age of the meno, set at 52 years, is just an arbitrary number.  I know so many women who have had a late meno.  Also how can they check if it is accurate.  When was the last time a questionnaire, survey etc., was done?

Machair

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 09:51:34 AM »

I completely agree with this Shadyglade. The average is said to be 52 but I had regular periods then, and my family tree research showed my that my Great Grandma had a 2 year old then, so she was late I am sure. I asked Mrs Minkin a very respected OBGYN a while back on a forum on Webmd and she said she had plenty of ladies who were 58/59. Being late has caused me a lot of worry, mainly due to the average age thing being talked about, not because of any symptoms or medical concerns.

Also as you say how is this number produced as so many ladies are either on HRT so do not know when their last natural period was, or they are never at the doctors to have this data collected or is it being collated at all by anyone anyway?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:53:50 AM by Machair »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 09:55:24 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM Dottyaboutdurham

Just as girls tend to start periods earlier these days, many women are continuing to have periods later as well!!!  You are technically still peri meno, so what you are experiencing is normal and can go on for some time.
You've had scans and tests so I wouldn't worry. If HRT is giving more problems than benefits then that may not be your best option either but HRT can help with some of the issues you are struggling with - I'm afraid though, it is about finding a HRT that suits you.   The Consultant is recommending Oestrogel but you would still need some progesterone to prevent the womb lining building up and resulting in problematic bleeding. Most oral or transdermal progesterones can bring some side effects e.g. PMT, low mood, cramps etc. If could be a good idea to consider having a Mirena fitted as this could ultimately result in no bleeding at all, would prevent any erratic bleeding and you can use as much gel along as you need.
AS for weight gain - well, I'm afraid when meno hits, we simply have to eat less generally and make sure we get enough exercise.  DG x

Machair

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 10:14:03 AM »

I forgot to mention my favourite videos here really mention this age point in the first few minutes of part one.These are by the gynae I mentioned and are superb.
http://madameovary.com/video/

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 07:54:45 PM »

Re average age of menopause - in UK it is actually 51 - but I did read somewhere that it is 51.4 - which is 51 rounded down!

Anyway it is just that an average - and the data on which this is based will be continually updated as more studies are carried out. Women can enter menopause in early 20's as we have seen on this forum - right through until late 50's - so those women who report a later menopause than 51 are just older than the average age. Yes any studies will exclude those who start HRT but this will be a small proportion I think of total women - although maybe could bias the sample a little. It does not mean that anyone still menstruating over the age of 51 is odd, late or abnormal! There is a statistic on the main website which states that 80 % of women ( in UK I presume) have reached menopause by age 54 - not sure what studies this statistic is based on - but that still means that 20 % will still be menstruating - and 20 % is a substantial minority!

For anyone who is interested there is information on the web about the studies that are carried out and there is a meta-analysis here (meta-analysis combines information from lots of separate studies and analyses them statistically for trends and significance). https://academic.oup.com/ije/article/43/5/1542/695928,. There is another study here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3285482/ and there will be plenty more (I haven't read them but just glanced over them!).

Machair - what a great name for her website - "Madam Ovary". I just looked at that after writing the above and see she also mentioned the 51.4 and gives the range - which is even wider than this though - but very rare amongst women in their 20's (0.1% according to the main MM website).

Hurdity x

Machair

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 09:27:01 PM »

I know Hurdity-  it is a wonderful website and name too. I think she is brilliant. I have read her book as well and that is excellent. The videos are really wonderful too and so helpful and positive. She used to answer questions on Webmd but not sure it is still open for questions there now.

Dottyaboutdurham

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 10:39:13 PM »

Thank you so much everyone for your replies, certainly gave me plenty to think about. I don't feel as worried as I did 24 hours ago but will certainly be seeing my GP in the not too distant future . Think I will do a bit of research and reading up before my appointment. My GP is very good and hopefully a plan B can be rolled out !!! Thank you for all your support  :clapping: x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 12:37:22 PM »

I LOVE Durham City and surrounding area  ;)

I would HATE to start periods again  >:(.  How R U today?

Dottyaboutdurham

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 10:01:53 PM »

Thanks for asking, just made an appointment for my GP.....it's 10 days away .....so plenty time to read up on things and give her a report on this latest period  ;D !!!
Yes, it's a beautiful city, we aren't far from the centre. Love the country though & quite fancy a semi rural life now  !!!! .....watching too much escape to the country  !
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 10:05:21 PM by Dottyaboutdurham »

knorman

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 10:09:27 AM »

Love Escape to the Country!