Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Thanks for the Support  (Read 2082 times)

Otter15

Thanks for the Support
« on: March 14, 2018, 08:11:08 PM »

About a year ago I developed VA and it was a bolt out of the blue! I'd never had any problems and had never heard of VA. it was quite frightening and, as it was so debilitating, quite depressing.
I was given vagifem by my GP but it only partly worked, which was even more depressing as I initially thought there was nothing else to be done. It was also scary as I had concerns about using oestrogen. As no one I know had ever heard of the condition, I felt quite isolated.
Then I discovered this forum. I have only ever read posts until now but felt it was time to thank you all. You have all been so helpful with your depth of knowledge and support network you have created. I have realised VA is not so unusual and have tried products suggested by different members. I now have it much more under control and keep reading the info you all pass around.
Thank you!

Daisydot

Re: Thanks for the Support
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 08:16:38 PM »

Well done otter15 a lovely positive post for other ladies struggling with this,we all need that help and support so freely available here.thank you xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 09:32:33 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Otter15

So pleased to hear this forum has helped you. It is terrible that women are not educated about what happens when meno hits. GPs are generally not clued up on VA either.
Vagifem will be needed for the rest of our lives if we suffer with urogenital atrophy.
Keep Posting. DG x

Otter15

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 11:04:03 PM »

Do people really stay on vagifem for years? I tried 5 weeks without after using for about 7 months along with yes but it got really bad again so restarted. Do people take breaks then go back or just continue using? My GP said women have a break after a few months but it was all a bit vague.

Daisydot

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 11:49:40 PM »

Yes because VA is a lifetime condition I guess like asthma or diabetes it's something we have to medicate to keep under control when we try to stop or reduce the medication the symptoms flare up again and we are right back where we started.I have no intention of stopping because I'm not going back to what I suffered before.xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 06:12:07 PM »

Vaginal atrophy is a Life-time condition.  As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: skin, deep in the ears, nostrils, eyes, vagina!  So any treatment that eases symptoms down there: 4 me it was like razor blades  :o : some ladies find that they require nightly use of Vagifem or alternate nightly-use.

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 08:52:48 PM »

What a Lovely post !
Hope you stick around and chat with us, you will be helping others too with your experience x

Otter15

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 09:16:04 PM »

See, you are still providing more information! I have had dry ears and had to stop having regular showers because my skin has become so dry and itchy. I hadn't made the connection, although it is obvious really. People talked about using coconut oil, which didn't really help me much but I then tried adding it to bath water and it is really kind. Bathing used to sting a lot underneath but the oil in the water is quite soothing. It has also helped my skin and I am not so itchy/dry after. I don't think I will stop using Vagifem again either! It's razor blades, hedgehogs and porcupines! Does anyone get pains like period pains if not using the Vagifem? Before I restarted the 14 days of one a day, I had them quite badly but by day 4 they are easing off so I assume they are connected? I also had them when I first had the problems but they went then when I got the Vagifem.

Joaniepat

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 09:53:55 PM »

Otter15, the best thing for dry, itchy skin is to apply Doublebase Gel after your bath or shower. You can also use Doublebase Emollient Wash Gel instead of your usual soap or shower gel. I find the Doublebase products are also non slippy, so no fear of going base over tip as you get out of the bath, which I am afraid you might do with oil in the water. It is best to avoid soap, shower gel, or anything else with SLS in it as these are very drying to the skin.
As to the VA, showers are best as you can avoid getting water between the labia. This washes out the friendly bacteria and upsets the ecology of the area. Good luck with keeping it all under control!
JP x

Otter15

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 10:05:03 PM »

Thanks for the advice Joaniepat. I had not heard of that gel - will go in search. I can't use soap - I wash my hair separately too. My doctor gave me Dermol but I was still really itchy after showering, hence baths. I was told to try Aveeno but that didn't help much either. Coconut oil helps but nothing is long lasting. Will give the Doublebase a go. Thanks.