Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: just starting vagifem  (Read 2181 times)

Stephjkm

just starting vagifem
« on: March 14, 2018, 12:22:20 PM »

My GP has just prescribed vagifem for me. She has said that I should use it daily for a week and then twice weekly. This conflicts with the datasheet and advice on here. Should I use it for two weeks initially or follow my GP's instructions?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: just starting vagifem
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 12:24:05 PM »

Usually ladies find that they require use every night for 2 weeks then 'as necessary'.  Years ago it was prescribed at 25, now I believe it's been dropped to 10 so some need more than GPs are aware might be required.  It's a bit Trial and Error - I would go by what is said on here  ;)

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 12:28:16 PM »

Definitely do 2 weeks nightly then see how you get on twice weekly after that, if things seem to be going backwards increase

I use it daily halfway up aimed at tummy for brilliant relief x

Loubylou

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 05:31:11 PM »

What is Vagifem?  Is it a lubricant or a hrt?

I find sex very painful so I'm wondering if this could help

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 07:10:53 PM »

Hi - do read the various threads about vaginal atrophy on here ........

As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry: inside and out.  Nostrils, deep in the ears, roof of mouth, skin, vagina  >:( so appropriate localised applications of HRT will ease symptoms, i.e. Vagifem or Ovestin.

Thread: My Bladder etc. ...........

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 07:29:39 PM »

What is Vagifem?  Is it a lubricant or a hrt?

I find sex very painful so I'm wondering if this could help

It's a very low dose oestrogen pessary you insert into the vagina.  It can take away soreness, help with pain during sex and stop UTIs caused by thinning tissue x

Daisydot

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 08:02:45 PM »

It will make a massive difference to you loubyloo in a matter of days you'll feel a difference so don't hesitate see your gp and ask for it.good luck xx

Optimist

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 08:11:32 PM »

Hi stephjkm, yes 2 weeks loading dose then 2x weekly advised but due to it being such a low dose many use it more. I use every other night and it really works! Dryness, soreness, irritation, itching all gone and the main one for me, irritable bladder much better and yes loubylou, helps with that also! Give it a try x

Stephjkm

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 08:14:43 PM »

Thanks for all the advice 🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷

Daisydot

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 08:24:56 PM »

Good luck stephjkm you'll not regret it,I did 2 week load but decided to continue for another two weeks I was so bad then I reduced it to 2/3 times a week and that's kept all the utis at bay I've had none since and no more razor cuts and bleeeding,xx

Stephjkm

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 09:59:37 PM »

Good to hear that vagifem is so effective for everyone. Fingers crossed it's good for me too ☺

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 12:51:36 PM »

Hi Stephjkm

Just to emphasise that Vagifem (and a ny vaginal oestrogen) is NOT an "as necessary" medication, as the others have confirmed. The initial two week loading and twice weekly maintenance dose is a MINIMUM. As you have read some women find they need to increase the regular frequency (or even thre loading time period) in order to keep confortable but never go below the minimum dose otherwise you may well experience a resumption of symptoms. Some women also need to do a re-load periodically.

Absolutely go with the (minimum) prescribing information on your sheet and not your GP (in this instance).

Goo luck with it :)

Hurdity x

Stephjkm

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 02:49:36 PM »

Thanks Hurdity,

I'm new to this HRT lark. After avoiding it for two years I am a complete convert and plan to stay on all forms for as long as they benefit me. There's no way I'll be stopping anything unless there's a VERY good reason!

I want to tell everyone about It, it's already made such a difference to my life.

🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

Loubylou

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 10:50:11 PM »

Quote from: Daisydot link=topic=39151.msg619 x415#msg619415 date=1521057765
It will make a massive difference to you loubyloo in a matter of days you'll feel a difference so don't hesitate see your gp and ask for it.good luck xx

Thank you I will. So, you can take this alongside other hrt? I currently have estrogel x

Joaniepat

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 10:59:01 PM »

Yes Loubylou, you can use Vagifem as well as your other HRT. Vagifem is a very small dose of estradiol and will not be absorbed systemically.
JP x
Pages: [1] 2