Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 944 times)

Thesteel

« on: March 21, 2018, 02:06:00 PM »

Hi I'm new just wanted to introduce myself. I'm 44 years old have just been confirmed I have started the menopause due to chemotherapy I received for breast cancer. I'm just hoping you all have words of wisdom I'm not allowed hrt so looking for any other remedies for the joyous side effects. :D

Daisydot

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 03:39:08 PM »

:welcomemm: hi Thesteel a warm welcome to you xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 03:44:17 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Thesteel

You've had a tough time and to now be plunged into menopause must a blow.
AS you are young, your main focus must be on protecting you heart and bones and for you this can be helped through diet and exercise. A good amount of calcium every day with plenty of vitamin D and magnesium is essential.  Weight bearing exercise e.g. brisk walking, will also be good. Getting you lifestyle right regarding diet, exercise and relaxation techniques will not only help your bones and heart, this will hopefully help you overcome some of the other meno symptoms like flushes. If flushes and night sweats do become a real issue, then SRRIs can help to reduce these so may be worth a try. Unfortunatley I can't suggest increasing phytoestrogens in your diet, as I believe this is not advisable if you have had an oestrogen receptive BC.
The other thing to take care with is you urogenital health.  If you do find you get bladder and vaginal problems (dryness or soreness) then you may be allowed local oestrogen ( this doesn't absorb systemically) but you could at least start to use vaginal moisturisers e.g. SYLK or the YES products as these can really help to keep everything comfortable and healthier around our ‘lady bits'.  Do drink lots of water but avoid caffeine, acidic drinks like fruit juices but occasional alcohol won't hurt. 
Sadly most herbal or alternative remedies are a waste of time and money - I've tried them all with no real benefit.  I do take Red Clover but it wouldn't be appropriate for you.
Have a look under Alternative prescription treatments at the top of this page under TREATMENTS to see your options - here is the link: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/prescribed.php
Keep us posted. DG xxxx

Thesteel

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 07:43:12 PM »

Thanks for all the information  will be looking into all my options