Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Cause of vaginal dryness and recurrent UTIs  (Read 1423 times)

dangermouse

Cause of vaginal dryness and recurrent UTIs
« on: March 12, 2018, 10:10:13 PM »

Just found this that may be helpful to those with UTIs and vagina dryness:

“An estimated 10 to 15 percent of women over 60 years of age suffer from frequent urinary tract infections [12]. In premenopausal women, beneficial commensal lactobacilli maintain low vaginal pH and produce lactic acid, thereby inhibiting colonization by uropathogens [50]. In the absence of sex hormones in the FRT following menopause, the lactobacilli are replaced by Enterobacteriaceae family which results in increased susceptibility of postmenopausal women to urinary tract infections. Whereas some studies showed that intravaginal administration of estrogens prevented recurrent urinary tract infection in postmenopausal women, others have shown no effects [51,52]. Heinemann et al has also shown that in women on combination MHT, lactobacilli species was recovered in the vagina of postmenopausal women [12].”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3954964/

Dancinggirl

Re: Cause of vaginal dryness and recurrent UTIs
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 10:04:59 AM »

Yep, it all makes sense.  When meno hits, the flora balance is off and so we are more prone to everything and not just UTIs.  I think 10-15% is a conservative estimate!!! Many women suffer in silence due to embarrassment and lack of knowledge.  Posters in every GP surgery are needed, informing about urogenital atrophy.

In the elderly, UTIs are a common problem and I believe they are now sometimes giving local oestrogen to the elderly!!!

I personally think that women should be monitored better (we keep saying there needs to Wellman sessions/clinics at every GP practise or area) and local oestrogen should be offered as standard treatment to help prevent long term problems and not just short term treatment either. The numerous prescriptions of antibiotics for something that is preventable, is simply wrong.
DG x