Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Can a missed hrt tablet cause spotting  (Read 9529 times)

Nickyp

Can a missed hrt tablet cause spotting
« on: March 12, 2018, 08:26:08 PM »

Hi, just a quick question. I am on a continuous hrt and have been for a few years. Last Thursday I forgot to take my tablet and am now having a bit of spotting. Could this be because of me forgetting my tablet. I have felt very pmt like over the past few days. Tia

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Can a missed hrt tablet cause spotting
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 08:39:21 PM »

I would say 'no' but someone with knowledge of HRT may be along.  Is there nothing on the leaflet with the product?  Maybe ring a Pharmacist in the morning?

Nickyp

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 08:44:29 PM »

I didn't think to read the leaflet ! And yes it does say if you forget it some spotting may  occur -thank you, not panicking so much now.!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 12:50:22 PM »

I rarely read the labels  ::) unless something happens that I wasn't expecting.

OK this morning?

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 08:24:17 PM »

Hi NickyP

You have found out the answer yourself - great! Bleeding can occur from missed tablet of HRT either because of the progestogen levels falling, or sometimes also due to oestrogen withdrawal ( the same as some women get just after ovulation). As you are on continuous combined HRT it would be quite illuminating to know which it was in your case, since if you are on continuous combined HRT, and have been on it for some time, and have not experienced any spotting or bleeding, theoretically there should not be any womb lining to shed if you reduce the progesterone levels. The pmt is due to progesterone withdrawal, although surprising to feel pmt after missing only one tablet!! If you've had any other spotting or bleeding I would just nip along to the doc and see if you can have a scan just to check the lining. Otherwise if all has been OK, then just carry on with the tabs and ignore it?

Hurdity x