Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Menopausal hormone therapy linked to having a healthier heart  (Read 981 times)

Emma

• Administrator

Queen Mary University of London have issued a press release today - "Menopausal hormone therapy linked to having a healthier heart".
It's on our news page:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/newsitem.php?recordID=190

It's also reported in the press:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5478889/Women-taking-HRT-pills-face-lower-risk-deadly-heart-failure.html

Shadyglade

Re: Menopausal hormone therapy linked to having a healthier heart
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 12:44:13 PM »

Interesting but lots of ifs and maybes. Also very small sample researched and the blood clotting issue also has to be considered.

I reserve judgement.

aspie65

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 02:39:57 PM »

Thanks for posting this.  Nice to get some good news.

Salad

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 04:43:10 PM »

Yay!  :party:

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 05:15:02 PM »

Thanks Emma - always good to hear about studies with a positive message - there are often too many negative ones (well as the press report anyway!).

Interesting but lots of ifs and maybes. Also very small sample researched and the blood clotting issue also has to be considered.

I reserve judgement.

All research studies are subject to ifs and maybes - after all, research is always carried out within defined parameters - but it is the accumulated evidence from many studies that enable us to build up a better picture of what's going on. Obviously only large trials could attempt to dissect causal relationships but there are not many of these going on. At least analysing existing data provides pointers for future trials.

Hmmm - without looking at the actual studies, I reserve judgement about the statement about blood clots. In fact I did think that evidence now showed the contrary to be the case, for women starting MHT ( HRT) within 10 years of menopause - the so-called "window of opportunity" - and especially using transdermal HRT. In fact studies were reported about this some years ago - on this site. I'm pretty sure that the blood clot risk is referring to the discredited WHI study when women years beyond menopause experienced increased cardio-vascular problems when starting HRT eg in 60's and 70's. This is off the top of my head without looking stuff up! Without seeing the original report we don't know what the BHF is referring to.

Hurdity x