Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Tranexemic acid  (Read 1488 times)

Helen Lilley

Tranexemic acid
« on: March 07, 2018, 12:26:08 AM »

Hi ladies.  Not posted for ages.  So, I'm now 45, and have been officially perimenopausal for a few years. Recently, although I'm still having periods regularly, the length of the bleed has lengthened, but my cycle is slightly shorter (most months)
I'm finding bleeding can last between 8 & 15 days (1 light day at first, a couple of heavy days, a medium day and the rest light or sometimes more like spotting) and cycle length anywhere between 21 & 38 days.  I've been to my GP today, who has suggested I try taking tranexemic acid towards the end of my period, to see if I can shorten the length of them.

Her other suggestion, due to my age was the Mirena coil.  I'd be interested to hear your thoughts, ladies. 

Hope you are all ok 😊

Salad

Re: Tranexemic acid
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 12:56:21 AM »

Hi :)

I was prescribed Tranexamic Acid tablets before I went on to have a hysterectomy.
My GP explained they took 24 hours to start taking effect. My problem was excessive bleeding on the first day of my period and having an irregular cycle meant I could never time taking the tablets to work for me.
My thoughts are its probably worth giving them a go.

Zee

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 07:07:49 PM »

I've been taking tranexamic acid for about a year. Have big fibroids and extremely heavy bleeding. These pills are a life saver for me.

am#

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 07:52:20 PM »

Hi i was having similar cycle probs and the tranexemic worked for me for 2 periods really made a difference ,but then it turned out my problem was due to hyperplasia and since been on treatment for that and bleeding went haywire and if i took the tranexemic acid would stop and start again as soon as i stopped taking them .
Certainly worth a try .

Stephjkm

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 10:49:53 AM »

I was prescribed tranexamic acid for heavy periods, they allowed me an extra half hour between tampon changes (!). I then tried Qlaira with no effect and eventually had a mirena fitted - wish I'd done that years ago, I got my life back!

Venetia

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 03:33:44 PM »

I tried tranexamic acid for very heavy bleeding but didn't notice the slightest bit of difference.  My doctor also said that you must start taking it at the very beginning of a bleed for the drug to work