Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: hrt at 63  (Read 1993 times)

daisie

hrt at 63
« on: March 04, 2018, 01:34:51 PM »

hi ladies..finaly stuck a patch on yesterday  evorel 50 patch is there anyone of you who can give me some feed back on it ..i had a hysterectomy over a couple of years ago so only need the estrogen..thanks x daisie

Dancinggirl

Re: hrt at 63
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 02:13:59 PM »

daisie - hope the oestrogen helps you. More and more are starting or continuing with HRT well into their 60s so you are not alone.
Your oestrogen  levels will be at rock bottom so it may well take some weeks to feel the full benfits. Expect a few strange things e.g. tender breasts and your ‘lady bits' may tingle - my gynae described this as the body ‘waking up'. Things should settle within 3 months.
There shouldn't be any real problems as you don't need progesterone so won't get bleeding.
Enjoy feeling better. Keep us posted. DG x
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 04:38:17 PM by Dancinggirl »

Daisydot

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 03:18:20 PM »

Hi daisie I restarted hrt after a 5-6 year break I'm 60 now I've been on it around 6 months now and see a massive difference.I'm on Oestrogel pump ,couldn't manage with patches as got dips after a couple of days so changed to gel which gives a consistent dose for me,I also have vagifem pessaries and estriol cream which keeps the uti symptoms away so remember to do that as well as when the VA gets a grip it causes so many other problems downstairs.well done stick with it xx

daisie

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 07:19:06 AM »

thanks dancinggirl and daisydot  ,iv got my fingers crossed been suffering for too long started menopause at 46 now 63 its been a battle trying to get through these awful symptoms.had to give in at some point always been too scared to take hrt iv been given it in the past but never stuck with it ..this time i will. not had any changes with the patch yet but early days wil keep you posted x daisie

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 08:46:37 AM »

Goodluck with that daisie - I am mid 60's too but I've been on HRT more or less continuously for 11 years. I have been happy with Estradot 50 mcg patches for most of this time although I now snip off an extra bit because I have testosterone too so didn't want to get out of balance!

What are the symptoms you are hoping to minimise/elliminate? The patches should work pretty quickly on flushes and sweats although as Daisydot says your body needs to build up oestrogen after a long absence! Lucky you not to have to take progesterone - this makes it so much easier!

Hurdity x

Karenmh

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 03:41:40 PM »

Hi im 63 and last summer the doctor took me off HRT (Premique Low Dose) as I had been on it since I was 46 I dont take it every day maybe 3 times a week so I had quite a stockpile, however I am now down to my last few tablets and panicking, I go away on holiday in 5 weeks and am dreading the hot flushes again, especially the night sweats, can anyone recommend any supplements that would ease the symptoms in the past I have tried creams and stuff from the chinese herbalist without any success, my friend has been given anti depressants even though she isnt depressed as an alternative by her GP but I dont fancy taking them, any suggestions would be most welcome, thankyou

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 06:57:59 PM »

Hi Karenmh

:welcomemm:

...however - the good news is, that unless there is a specific medical reason why you should not continue with HRT, then current guidelines are that you can stay on it as long as you want to, the risks are explained to you and are benefiting from it. Having said that if you go back to your doctor to get some more, it might be best at this stage to try a different type since the big study which investigated the risks were with the HRT type that you are using ( ie the equine oestrgoens and synthetic progestogens).  I suggest you find out which doctor in your practice is up to date and supports the current guidelines, and then maybe change to something like Femoston or a patch such as Femseven conti, or oestrogen patch or gel with separate progesterone (Utrogestan) although this can have a sedative effect if taken every day. It's great that you are managing with a low dose and not every day as this bodes well for continuing on a low dose preparation. Femoston also does an ultra-low dose tablet.

Have a look at the TREATMENTS tab above under HRT preparations, at the different types and come back to us if you have any more questions. The last thing you want tis to feel rough on holiday. Even if you do decide you want to stop for ever - at least they should give you some more until you come back so that you can continue to wean off very slowly.

I agree re the anti-depressants - I mean why would one swap HRT for these if you don't need to - after all they will also have long term associated risks (I haven't looked into these!). Sadly no herbal remedies really work although some feel that phytooestrogens have a weak effect ( like Red Clover for instance). Ensuring your diet is really good and taking exercise, keeping your weight down, limiting alcohol, also help health-wise but not really with hot flushes.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

daisie

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 09:59:26 PM »

Hi hurdity. .after being on the amitriptyline for so long and not doing anything apart from helping me to sleep did nothing for my mood  at all I m hoping the patch might help with the dryness of my skin which is getting worse depression and anxiety which have not been helped with the antidepressants the flushes ..can't be bothered feeling which is with me all the time and all the rest of the annoying menopause symptoms I feel like a recluse don't want to go out most of he time. Iv just been battle ling through all these years nothings lifted iv gad blood test for thyroid and other things all ok I had a homone test which came back both of them was low that was before my hysterectomy  I had homone test do I would imagine the homone level is even lower now I'm just hoping I can get some relief  from these symptoms what have never gone away im not the same person I used to be ..was happy go lucky and full of life before menopause came along its made me miserable not sociable anymore.antidepressants arnt the answer for me do iv hot to try and stick with the patch for a while and hope the give me dome relief  will keep you updated x daisie

daisie

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 10:05:22 PM »

Excuse the miss spellings on my above comment if anyone reads it 😊x daisie

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 08:27:07 AM »

Daisy - I think the oestrogen will improve things for you - what a shame you weren't given it sooner. Try to get for walks and improve you lifestyle generally to really get things back on track. Theciestegn can work wonders but eating well and getting some exercise is also vital to get the quality of life back - HRT cannot fuc everthing. DG x

Karenmh - Hurdity has given you excellent advice, as always, but i do wonder whether you are worrying unnecessarily about stopping the HRT. If you have only been taking the HRT 2-3 times a week, then this very small dose may not have been doing that much and you may find you will be fine without it.
Femoston do an ultra low dose that may be suitable for you though and may be worth trying. DG x