Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: To light or not?  (Read 3734 times)

bramble

To light or not?
« on: March 03, 2018, 03:31:50 PM »

I live down a dark lane with no street lights. My front door is about six foot from the lane. Up till now I have had a front door light with pir detector which comes on when anyone walks down the lane, whether they are coming to my door or not. I need to get a new one and my question is this:
Do I get another with a pir detector
or
do I get a dawn to dusk one that will always be on regardless.? Do I want my front door lit all the time? Are there any drawbacks to that?

Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: To light or not?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 03:33:38 PM »

We have one that lights up on movement.  Otherwise it may annoy neighbours here.  Even the street lights are down-ward pointing  ::).

Also, one that is on all night - as several are on in this Estate - may well confuse the bats etc.  ;D.  One on all the while gives intruders more time to have a good snout round.  Would one attached to a camera be of use?

bramble

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 05:16:55 PM »

No neighbours close at hand to be bothered. No need for a camera. I just want to decide whether to get one which stays on all the time. The pir one comes on when the dog walkers go down the lane. Just wondering whether it would be more neighbourly to have one  on all the time or to let the dog walkers walk a bit in the pitch dark, then they catch the detector and get a bit of light for a short distance. Before the light goes on they are walking in pitch darkness. It would be better if the light was on all the time, but am I that neighbourly? That's what I am trying to decide !!! I live in a village so not too concerned about scrotes!

Bramble

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 05:20:48 PM »

We live down a lane with no street lamps so we bought a detector light (what you mentioned, comes on when someone walks past) it doesn't pick up dog walkers though

I might sound selfish but go with what is best for you

Daisydot

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 06:48:26 PM »

Hi Bramble I'd stick with your P.I.R and let the dog walkers take a torch with them.xx

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 07:04:36 PM »

;D - I was going to suggest a torch.  Someone on the Estate here has a sensitive P I R which catches sight of our car but ours needs adjusting as it doesn't stay on long enough  ::) - a Summer job which we always forget.

There's enough light pollution anyway  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 12:57:42 PM »

We didn't buy a reactive light for years - until we came home one night and couldn't see to unload the car  ;D.  Now we have several round the plot, the one on our patio is lovely in the Summer evenings.  Attracts the moths which attracts the bats which ..........  :whist:

One is too high up for me to trigger it, it works on a heat sensor.  Even when I wave my hand across the light  ::)

bramble

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 01:20:18 PM »

The PIR would have the security advantage of identifying dishonest types who want to acquire your possessions as they approach.

Does sort of raise the question of why you purchased a house on an unlit lane if you don't like properly dark nights  ???

I never said that I don't like dark nights. I do of course need a light to see the steps at the door etc when I come home in the dark. My question was - should I have a light on all the time in the dark nights to help the people as they walk down my lane - or do I be selfish and just have one with a pir detector that only stays on for a few minutes............

Bramble

littleminnie

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 01:49:26 PM »

If I lived there I would definitely have a light that stays on all the time. 

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 02:30:02 PM »

It's not selfish.  If they want to walk down the lane they can get a torch ;-)

Also, do consider light pollution .........

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 04:16:16 PM »

We walked by a P I R today mid-morning and it lit up  ::).  Thought of you !

Daisydot

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 03:32:56 PM »

What have you decided? 😃

bramble

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 04:32:05 PM »

I have decided on a dawn to dusk one. I will be the solitary light in my dark lane!

Bramble

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 05:05:00 PM »

As long as no one thinks that you have The Stable ........  ;) and you find a baby inside ....  :whist:

Will you have to get on the ladder to fix it?

Daisydot

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 06:23:30 PM »

If that suits you that's great x
Pages: [1] 2