Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Weight gain  (Read 2198 times)

sandie72

Weight gain
« on: February 27, 2018, 07:49:30 AM »

Hi
I am new to the forum and at 45 years old was struggling with lack of sleep and flushing with no period for 3 months so have been prescribed Elleste Duet 1mg. I am now half way through my second pack and although most menopause symptoms have improved I am really concerned about my weight. I eat healthy home cooked foods with the odd weekend treat. I wear a Fitbit and average 45 miles walking a week but have still managed to gain 5lbs. 😢 Weight is something I always keep on top of as it does depress me if my clothes start to feel tight. My worry is if this weight gain continues despite my active lifestyle I will be miserable. Any advise would be appreciated.

Dancinggirl

Re: Weight gain
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 09:06:27 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM
HRT can ‘plump' us up a bit but weight gain is a menopause ‘symptom' - so we can easily find we gain weight as we go into menopause. Our body shape definitely changes. We simply have to eat less when the menopause hits. I have reduced the amount I eat by about a third and still struggle to keep the weight normal and that fat around my tummy and upper hips, that appeared from nowhere, simply won't budge.
Oh the joys of menopause and getting older!!!
Don't blame HRT - it is helping you get your energy back so you can still take exercise. 
DG x

aspie65

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 09:52:45 AM »

I have always managed to keep my weight under control with sensible eating but the menopause had other ideas.  I have put on about a stone over 4 years, so gradually that I didn't notice at first.  It is mostly round my middle so I now have a lovely matronly figure.  I can't shift it either, I have now resolved to dressing in a more flattering style and accepting my fate for now.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 10:11:23 AM »

I actually think that nature intends us to carry a bit more weight as we age - our faces would be more lined without a little extra plumpness.  Catherine Deneuve famously said “when you get to 40, you can either keep you face or your figure, you can't have both”.  Dressing to flatter the figure, at any age, can actually make you look slimmer, so rethinking the wardrobe can be a good strategy. Just don't let the weight pile on too much. DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 11:22:21 AM »

I haven't put weight on [yet] as I don't take HRT but my apron dropped so from above, I look fat  ::).   As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains or sagging bellies, under the arms etc..

sandie72

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 05:47:03 PM »

Thank you for your replies. I am finding it hard to come to terms with the menopause as early as 45 and feel it impossible to be exercising any more than I already do. I suppose I will just need to try and come to terms with the change in body shape. 😫

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 06:10:13 PM »

Hi sandie72

:welcomemm:

Some women find more bloating occurs with some of the synthetic progestogens although this should ease once you are on the oestrogen only part. If not you could always try a different HRT type - Femoston 1/10 for example contains a progestogen more closely related to our own progesterone.

Re the weight gain -  as Dancinggirl says. I have reduced what I eat by way more than a third, increased my exercise, cut pretty much all extra carbs and sugar (except porridge for brek) and still have difficulty keeping weight gain at bay! Good that you are eating healthy food, but if you haven't done so already I would vastly reduce your carbs and sugar - especially refined carbs, and cut down processed foods, juice, any sugary drinks, cakes, biscuits, pastry, bread, pasta, spuds etc and replace it with fruit, veg, grains, pulses, lean and lower fat protein, healthy fats ( eg in nuts and avocados). This should help as a start. I keep alcohol to weekends as this also puts on weight, and have low calorie tonic with my G, and small glasses of wine etc.

Exercise - cardio for heart health and calorie burning, and lots of body conditioning to build muscle which burns more calories weight for weight than fat.

Although one can never regain that hourglass shape - you can still make the best of your shape change by doing that exercise (abs are good for tum) and standing and walking well - pull in the stomach, lift the chest, stand tall (even if short!) and wear flattering clothes!

I am actually lighter than I was in late peri-menopause and have gone down a size (I've been on HRT for 11 years) and this is from concerted effort involving permanent changes to diet - and yes I have zero tolerance of clothers getting tight. I NEVER buy a size larger - if clothes get tight I do something about it - that is the only way to stem the inevitable age-related weight gain and a fat old age - that you say will make you miserable - and would me too!

CLKD - you and your apron - kills me every time ;D . Most of us have not heard of this!!!

Hurdity x

sandie72

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 07:11:11 PM »

Thank you very much Hurdity lots of great advice and positivity there for me to work on. Also will keep in mind change of hrt after my 3 month trial. I do love my chocolate so that will be a hard one to keep at bay. Went out and did 3 mile run on the treadmill and this combined with my 5 miles walk a day hopefully will help.  Not quite ready to say goodbye to my skinny jeans yet. 😊

Bellababe

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 08:56:01 PM »

I empathise - I'm 44 and I've only really noticed weight gain in last year of being on Hrt - and whilst I know it's age not Hrt adding the pounds, I have found applying Estrogel to my inner thighs has made my whole leg change shape and nasty cellulite appear which wasn't there before. Anyone know how to combat this, if even possible!?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 09:43:50 AM »

It won't be the Oestrogel  causing those effects on the things. Our body shape does change when meno hits and though HRT helps to maintain muscle strength, it can't hold back all the aging process. The body fat simply collects where it wants to.
When I stopped using the Oestrogel ,  that was when the sagging etc started.
Try cutting down on fat and sugar in the diet, smaller portions as well, and do less muscle building exercise and more stretching and cardiovascular exercise.
DGx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 09:47:42 AM »

It won't be the Oestrogel  causing those effects on the things. Our body shape does change when meno hits and though HRT helps to maintain muscle strength, it can't hold back all the aging process. The body fat simply collects where it wants to.
When I stopped using the Oestrogel ,  that was when the sagging etc started. My fat sits on my tummy and the top of my hips and nothing seems to shift that, however thin or fit I am.
Try cutting down on fat and sugar in the diet, smaller portions as well, and do more stretching and cardiovascular exercise.
DGx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 11:22:25 AM »

I can't eat less than I do.  As a recovering anorexic, I have to be careful to eat B4 my body needs it, otherwise  :'(

I do eat little and often.  I do eat what I fancy which can vary .......... so junk food as well as a very healthy mix of fruit, veg., meat, chicken curry, bananas, occasionally an orange.  Biscuits when I need something fast, usually about 20 mins. B4 my evening meal  ::)

I don't exercise enough.   :-\  :-X Note to self  ::)

Maybe have a look at the clothing that you wear; is it flattering when you look in the mirror rather than looking down from above?  I can't bear anything tight round my waist!

Emma L

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 10:27:35 PM »

Hi. I am the same as you although I've gained nearly a stone. I do exercise classes, walk and work full time and have a 6 old so feel I can't do much more. I'm only 31 - I feel I too young for the middle age spread!!! Its so bloody hard being a woman sometimes 😢