Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Help please?!  (Read 1654 times)

Debbie247

Help please?!
« on: March 02, 2018, 03:54:57 PM »

I am not sure how this works, I am new to the site and would like some advice? After my second child I used depo (approx 14 years ago) and haven't had a period since: after 11 years I changed to the coil, but came off it after a few months as I thought some symptoms may have been caused by it. I am now 50, have a long list of symptoms which make me extremely miserable, the doctor eventually said I might be in menopause but have to wait for a year without periods (?) and "we do have HRT but don't like to use it"  I haven't been back, but don't know what to do, my life is a mess but there must be an answer??! Hopefully someone can suggest where I can get help! And what am I doing wrong because my post doesn't have 'new' next to it?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 03:59:53 PM by Debbie247 »

Dotty

Re: Help please?!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 04:03:35 PM »

Hi you need to see another doctor . You don't have to wait a year without periods and hrt is very safe.

Daisydot

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 04:10:32 PM »

Don't delay it Debbie go on it now before the VA sets in it's so difficult to deal with as you get older.its perfectly safe to go n it at your age and will give you so much protection for all the other meno nasties we get,either see your gp again preferably a different one and if no luck ask for a referral to meno clinic or consultant and failing that go private but get the help you need and deserve don't leave it any longer.good luck xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 04:37:58 PM »

Your GP isn't giving patients what they require.

Maybe visit your local Pharmacist to see which Surgeries support HRT.  Is there a Practice Nurse at your Surgery you could talk with?

Make a list of symptoms/moods/food to keep a check on how you are.

Browse round. Make notes.  Decide which symptoms you would like to ease first?

There is peri-menopause when hormones start to go haywire! so your GP isn't up to date!  Menopause relates to the last monthly period but we often don't find out until a few years down the line when the last one was  ::)

Do be aware of vaginal atrophy which needs appropriate treatment, presents as repeated urine infection-type symptoms  >:( - we have threads about that too!

Jaq69

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 09:27:21 AM »

Definitely start the hrt... I also don't post much but when I do the advice is great..im 48 and peri menopausal.. still having regular periods but the emotional rollercoaster and not being in control of those emotions is really really tough... go and seek additional advice because you're not alone with this xx

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 10:36:00 AM »

Aaaagh another ignorant doctor! If you are not having periods and are experiencing typical menopausal symptoms then at your age you are deemed peri-menopausal, and as has been said you may start HRT as long as no medical reason why not. If the whole practice is anti-HRT you have every right to complain and take it higher because this is totally contrary to medical guidelines (NICE Guidelines on Menopause). They should not let their likes and dislikes and out of date prejudices about HRT interfere with the proper treatment of women. If necessary change doctors because you are being failed by this one.

Re  periods - how long have you been off the coil? Sometimes it can take a few months for periods to return if they are going to (so I understand) but that is not a reason to delay HRT if you are experiencing symptoms - especially the obvious ones like flushes and sweats.

Hurdity x  :welcomemm:

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 12:01:12 PM »

I spit bricks when I hear that GPs are 'not' giving appropriate advice and if necessary treatment  :cuss:

Debbie247

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 02:39:38 PM »

Thanks for the comments, at least I know I am not alone!
I stopped using the coil a couple of years ago, but didn't expect any periods (I used to have ovarian screening and the consultant told me years ago that my ovaries were "shrivelled" and wouldn't be doing much any more)
The doctor said I have to be without periods for a year to be classed as menopausal, but I haven't had anything for about 14 years with being on depo, so don't know how to count that?!
It's the black down days I find really hard to cope with, most of the other symptoms have been going on for so long you just learn to live with it as best you can
My main problem is not knowing what's the best thing to do, and feeling totally alone with it as I don't understand how and why some things happen!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 03:32:11 PM »

Your GP is out of date!  Regardless, symptoms should be considered.

Low moods - do you get plenty of exercise out doors?  Have you considered a 'light' inside, one that you can sit by to get 'sunlight'?