Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Snow and our pets  (Read 2337 times)

Dancinggirl

Snow and our pets
« on: February 28, 2018, 11:49:48 AM »

My husband opened our front door to let our border terrier out this morning. Normally very keen to get out, today our feisty little terrier stopped in his tracks when he saw the white world in front of him. He gave my husband a withering look, crept out tentatively and cocked his leg very quickly before rushing back indoors.  Now this is a dog who doesn't think twice about plunging into the North Sea after a stick, even in the depths of winter, but he is now sulking on the sofa blaming us for the weather. 
Where have all his sniffs gone?
Why is his water all hard?
How long will it take us to get all those layers on before we can take him for a walk?
Don't worry, we do keep de-icing his water bowl - for some reason he rarely drinks from the inside bowls (we have 3 of them around the house) !!! -  and we de-ice the water for the wild birds as well.

The snow is pretty here but that wind is ‘wicked'.  DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Snow and our pets
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 01:03:55 PM »

;D

I tried over the years not to humanise my pets but sometimes  :clapping:  'withering' covers it really well.

My JR looked white  :scottie: until she ran in the snow  ::).   I put a full litter tray out when the weather is really bad as cats simply cannot dig to cover.  I stopped taking my cocker out in the snow as she got iced pads, apparently it's like having a stone in the welly boot  :D.  Her ears would hang with snow balls too!

Warm water put out for our birds earlier. 

Conolly

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 01:18:35 PM »

My cat just loves it.😱😎

Conolly X

littleminnie

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 01:27:40 PM »

Cats aren't happy.  Sulking.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 05:05:42 PM »

There's a cat on U-tube catching snow balls in a garden  ::)

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 06:21:41 PM »

Our dogs (choccy lab and gobby ship-tzu) are loving it

Gobby one races round in it

Not sure where Berts son is, he may be hiding upstairs but Bert (my baby that got savaged) stays home when it's cold

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 07:03:18 PM »

He's improving though?  :-\ ......... not many cats like snow  ::)

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 09:23:36 AM »

Bert is my girl cat lol
Yes she goes out now, mostly just for toilet but she still hangs around the front drive on nice days, that's  where the horrible attack started.  She's over anxious now with noises, if the doorbell goes she panics and runs.  But I'd rather her be on alert x

Daisydot

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 09:41:19 AM »

That's awful Annie I hope she's ok but they never really recover it turns them into nervous wrecks.my cats are house cats I don't live in a good area for them to go out,it's great for us but not safe enough for them they're rescue cats and not street wise.they are fine and happy to sit at windows and watch the snow, they run like hell if the door goes and stay in hiding till visitors leave they are so shy and scared because of people's cruelty.one of them was tied in a black bag and thrown in a skip,he was 3 weeks old,he's 7 years old now and petrified if you rustle a carrier or bag,it's obviously scarred him even at that young age.

Annie0710

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 06:11:50 PM »

AW Daisydot how awful!! Why would the previous owners do that ?? If you don't want a pet, rehome !

Yes my Bert fell victim of a savage attack last November.  She had to have emergency lifesaving surgery.  The Husky's teeth had gone through 3 layers of stomach muscle and debris and fur were removed from her stomach.  Then she relapsed as she wasn't eating and drinking.  I was heartbroken x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 06:30:35 PM »

I remember that.  Such a trauma for everyone!

There are several photos of pets in the snow this week from all across the UK if you go into the BBC News sites ..........

What a shame about the bag, my cats all loved romping and pouncing on a brown paper bag as it rustled.

Daisydot

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 06:48:55 PM »

Yes your right it's normal behaviour for cats to play inside bags or rustley things but not my lot they are petrified.
Annie that's so sad I'd have been devastated.xx

Annie0710

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 06:19:41 AM »

Thanks Daisydot.  The dog owner paid for all Berts care x