Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Advice on Evorel 50 and utrogestan please?  (Read 4857 times)

Ziggyfairy

Advice on Evorel 50 and utrogestan please?
« on: March 05, 2018, 10:02:32 PM »

Hi everyone - I'm brand new and this is my first post, so I would really appreciate some advice. I'm 38 and entered menopause early due to premature ovarian failure. I've been on HRT for over a year and about four months ago I was put on Evorel 50 patches and utrogestan on days 15 to 26 of my cycle. I had one period a month towards the end of the cycle for the previous 3 months, so fairly regular. But this month I had my period two weeks earlier than I expected to (on day 11, before I even started the utrogestan). It's quite a heavy proper period. I have an appointment in April at the menopause clinic, and there's not much point in going to my GP as he's been pretty useless. So I'll get some proper medical advice at the clinic in April, but in the meantime, is it normal to get a spontaneous period at the “wrong” time on HRT? I'm really confused because I thought my cycle was regulated by the hormones . . .

hoping4best

Re: Advice on Evorel 50 and utrogestan please?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 02:35:57 AM »

Hi ziggyfairy, I also had POF at 38, I'm so sorry! It can be hard to find a good doctor.

You could be bleeding for many reasons (not enough estradiol, too much estradiol, progesterone isn't right...), but if you still have your ovaries, your patch dose is low enough that it could stimulate an ovary if they're still there. HRT is much lower dose than birth control, so it doesn't always take over entirely. I have one ovary and they thought that happened to me at one point.

Hang in there, I know it's confusing!

Dancinggirl

Re: Advice on Evorel 50 and utrogestan please?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 08:59:11 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM Ziggyfairy

I had POF - it's tough finding the right HRT for many women.  Unfortunately Utrogestan may not be facilitating a good shedding of your womb lining I'm afraid and this is a common side effect of this progesterone. The bleed is supposed to come a day or so AFTER you finish the progesterone phase of any HRT. Utrogestan is a good progesterone for many women and is getting very popular because it is bio idrntical, however this doesn't mean it suits everyone. Utrogestan is also less strong and stable than other more synthetic progesterones and therefore erratic bleeds are more likely.
Some women use Utrogestan vaginally (one capsule for 12 days each month inserted as high as possible into the vagina) as this delivers the progesterone more directly to where it is needed so this method can be more effective and this is recommended in other many countries - strangely not licensed to be used this way in the uk yet but you will read on this forum that many women do use it vaginally with great success. When taking it orally, too much is lost when the liver processes it.
I personally didn't get on with Utrogestan well at all, erratic bleeds, cramps and rashes on my face, made me give up on it. At your age I think you need a hassle free regime so I would try Femoston 1/10 sequential OR still use oestrogen patches but take Provera progesterone for 10 days each month instead of Utrogestan.
Another good option would be to have a Mirena fitted and oestrogen patches alongside.
I found the Mirena very good and after the first few weeks didn't get any bleeding at all - which was great. You just have to have the Mirena changed every 4 years!!
Keep us posted.
DG x