Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anti ageing strategies  (Read 4406 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anti ageing strategies
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 01:01:08 PM »

My husband is First in my Life followed by me  ;)
He loves me for who I am, not for what he wants me to be, unlike my parents who made me feel that they were pushing for 'extra'

When I am old, I *will* wear purple  ;D and tend to slum it in comfy jeans, tops, jumpers - occasionally DH gives me 'the look'  :o  :-X

Wearing comfortable foot wear is important to me.  I see many women struggling along in oh-so-not suitable shoes/boots  :o.  How I don't stop them I don't know, wondering how many complain of bad backs  ::)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 02:33:50 PM »

Sweetscarlet - oh yes, it is often those little things that make all the difference. A touch of lipstick can work wonders.

CKLD - when I worked as a presentations consultant, I always told peopler that - ”it doesn't matter how great an outfit is, if your feet are in pain it will show in you face so you won't LOOK good.”

So let's add 'Good comfortable shoes' to our list of important things. DG x

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 02:49:05 PM »

My maternal grandad told his children that you could tell the status of a person by the state of their shoes.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 02:56:47 PM »

;D - it's an old adage but still true in many ways CKLD

wombat62

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 09:28:19 PM »

Great thread....

Keep dancing, don't think "I'm too old for x", don't be told you're too old for long hair if it suits you, be sensibly fashionable and don't look in the mirror too much... ;D I'm not throwing out my heels for anyone but I do wear low heels when walking for any length of time. 

Touch wood I don't creak too much and on a good day I can fly in an exercise class but having lost a lot of weight, it shows up the wrinkles now which is hard!

Attitude is the most important part of not getting old and keep your sense of humour! To me it's the way time goes too quickly is the horrible part of getting older, I can't believe we're now in to March already!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 10:38:16 PM »

Wombat62 - a sense of humour is definitely needed at any time in our lives. It sounds to me as though you are approaching things ‘with style' - go for it girl.  Life is short - so live it. DG x

Spangles

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2018, 12:55:29 PM »

I love this thread, thank you xXx

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2018, 03:56:08 PM »

I don't look in the mirror that often  ::) - lack of time generally  ;D

Listen to your body.  If you ache, rest or take pain relief sooner rather than later.
Take time to ........... for us, it's sitting in our garden.  Today, the birds are really noisy despite the snow  :)

wombat62

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2018, 10:49:21 PM »

Thanks DG, trying my best!

racjen

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2018, 10:51:57 PM »

Having had a mastectomy last year, and feeling shocked by the pressure to have a reconstruction so as to fit into our culture's definition of what makes us feminine and attractive, I decided a couple of months ago to ditch the fake boob and just admit to myself and the world that I'm now lopsided. I haven't changed the way I dress, I don't try and disguise it, in fact the more i get used to it the more I dress to make it obvious! I feel I shouldn;t have to hide the trauma I've been through, it's part of what makes me who I am. So my message would be, don't try and hide your flaws, they are what make you the unique and wonderful person you are. By accepting my scarred side I've actually grown to love it and not feel ashamed any more.

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2018, 11:04:34 AM »

When I had my initial surgery in the 1990s, I decided that if I kept my breasts I would flaunt them.  Haven't worn a bra since, find them SO uncomfy!! anyway although some are really pretty.  People should look at my face anyway  ;D ............

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2018, 11:06:56 AM »

I've just been reminded:  many++ years ago I was a bridesmaid.  One of the ushers was a dentist.  Genetically I have a narrow mouth so my teeth don't fit ....... he mentioned to the bride that he could straighten my 'look'.  This is someone who never spoke to me at all, OK he was a dentist but even so!  Don't know what I would have done had he made the suggestion directly to me, after all these years, I still wonder what my reaction would have been  :rofl: and as I don't drink ........ she told me that he was keen to do some work on my mouth.

For a long while I felt that I had ruined the 'photos but remembered that in general, people were used to my cronky teeth.  I went around for a long time, keeping gob well shut  :-\

Scampi

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2018, 02:47:38 PM »

I've lost quite a bit of weight (4 dress sizes - and counting!) and it's definitely made me look younger.  And I've taken up running, which I'm loving - that's made me feel physically younger.  I've never been one for make-up (last time I wore even eye make-up was 10 years ago when I got married!) - I've never worn foundation and I never will, so my face is what it is!  As for staying mentally young - my attitude is pretty much what it always was (although I'll admit to becoming far less patient with stupid people!).  I have a very good relationship with my daughter - now she's an adult she's more my friend than my daughter - and we enjoy spending time together ... we giggle often and lots.  I'm sure her influence keeps my mind young  :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2018, 04:38:03 PM »

racjen - I agree, being comfortable about how we look and feel is very important  - good self esteem is vital.

Scampi - a good giggle can be wonderful for our wellbeing. Let's add ‘laughter' to our strategies for anti ageing. DG x

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2018, 04:40:43 PM »

Get a video of Billy Connolly or similar  ;) ........ Rowan Atkinson walked onto the stage and we laughed for ages, even B4 he had said anything  ::).  Jim Davidson had us rolling in the aisles. 
Pages: 1 [2]