Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Questions questions  (Read 1517 times)

MrsAFW

Questions questions
« on: March 17, 2018, 09:07:31 AM »

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I was on HRT for 3 years and the doctor suggested I stop. Since then I've taken Phytosoya which hasn't helped and I have hot flushes x10 a day and about 5 night at night, I've put on 3lbs too which I don't need either! I'm seriously thinking about going back to my GP to get be back on HRT. My question is — does being on HRT just mask the symptoms of the menopause and when HRT stops all the symptoms will come back? I'm 55. I don't want to go back to HRT for 3-5 years and end up going the the menopause from scratch at 60. Any advice would be great.

Dotty

Re: Questions questions
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 09:11:35 AM »

The new guidelines are that you can be on hrt for as long as you need it and there are no time limits.

Hrt does not just mask the symptoms until you come off it. It doesn't work like that.

MrsAFW

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 09:19:30 AM »

Thank you Dotty. There is such conflicting evidence about the length of HRT use and it's safety that's all. My GP seems to err on the side of caution, so I'll always feel that being on HRT has a timeline.

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 09:24:37 AM »

The updated Nice guidelines should be followed but unfortunately a lot of GPs are not up to date.

The benefits of hrt outweigh the risks and the studies that were done a number of years ago have been proven to be flawed.

MrsAFW

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 09:34:17 AM »

That's useful to know, thank you very much

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 09:37:10 AM »

Have a look at Dr Louise Newson's website - my menopause doctor. It will answer all your questions and put your mind at rest.

MrsAFW

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 09:56:54 AM »

I'll do that yes, thank you again

Daisydot

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 10:26:24 AM »

Hi I did exactly the same thing as yourself and was a big mistake,I had 5-6 years of worsening symptoms and ended with severe bleeding due to VA I was raw,the flushes like you got worse to literally every few minutes all day every day and bed soaking wet every night.Ive just gone back on hrt at age 60 and within a matter of week it's all stopped.i take one squirt of Oestrogel daily it's a transdermal gel you just rub into thigh so bypasses the liver and vagifem pessaries which you will need at some stage and need to stay on for life as your membranes are drying out in whole body,itchy ears itchy eyes dryness everywhere.with hrt you are simply replacing what your body is no longer producing so don't be scared do your homework by reading up from this site and visit your gp armed with info and printouts if necessary,don't let it rule your life the symptoms are horrible.you need a good quality of life so good luck but def don't be scared of hrt.xx

MrsAFW

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 10:57:14 AM »

Hi Daisy Dot — thank you for this. Glad I joined this forum, it's a big help and I don't feel quite so isolated on the subject. Sorry you've had such an awful time, but good that you're on the right path now.

Daisydot

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 01:19:11 PM »

You've did the right thing joining this forum we are really blessed to have sensible practical advice from the ladies on here money can't buy that kind of help and experience they are all gems,I know I wouldn't be where I am now without the help I got and continue to get from them.good luck xx