Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Vulvodynia  (Read 1938 times)

Lucylocket

Vulvodynia
« on: February 25, 2018, 10:23:31 AM »

Hello all,

I am new to Menopause matters (I am 49) and have just had a blood test to check if I am in the perimenopause stage.  The reason my GP thinks this, is that I suffer from Vulvodynia and it has just flared up again for no reason (the first time it came on was due to a bout of thrush that took 8 weeks to clear up) leaving me with vulvodynia.  My GP thinks the reason it has flared up again could be because I am perimenopausal and because I use  POP contraceptive with no estrogen, the lack of estrogen is causing the Vulvodynia again.  Does anyone else have this issue, or have any experience of this?  I am anxious to know if the vulvodynia could really flare up because of lack of estrogen?  Also, if I do have to take HRT, what are all your experiences of it? 
Glad to be here, and look forward to corresponding with you all. 

Dancinggirl

Re: Vulvodynia
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 10:45:42 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM

Yes, absolutely.  Lack of oestrogen is the cause of urogenital atrophy and symptoms of thrush, BV and UTI type symptoms.  Soreness, dryness etc. are all part of the joys of the menopause and often start when we begin the peri meno stage. How old are you?  HRT would definitely help but if you are already getting urogenital issues then local oestrogen would be a good idea alongside the systemic HRT. 
IF you are in early peri meno stage, then a different type of PCP e.g. Qlaira or Zoely might be a good start, as these would give you contraception but also give you the bio identical oestrogen that you need to balence things and help prevent menopause symptoms in the early stages.   You could have some local oestrogen e.g. Vagifem, right now, as well to help with the current issues. Vaginal moisturisers are good idea as well (SYLK or the YES products are best and you buy these online) and if you do get thrush, itching or soreness then buy some Multi Gyn Actigel (online) to use for a few days to help restore the flora balance.
HRT experiences vary from women to women - it is about finding the right HRT for you - don't be too alarmed about some of the posts on this forum as it tends to be the ladies who have difficulties with HRT that do the posting - there will be thousands of women out there getting on with life really well thanks to HRT. 
If I were you I'd try the Qlaira or Zoely BCPs first - your GP is unlikely to know about these, so you may have to find the info online and print off to show him/her and explain that these are relatively new but recommended for early peri meno when oestrogen is dropping. DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 01:21:50 PM »

:welcomemm:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 05:19:01 PM »

Maybe do a 'search' on here to see other threads?

Maryjane

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 05:43:10 PM »

Vulvodynia is an umbrella term for pain in the vulva but we don't no why ?

At your age as DG has said , and won't repeat as DG gives excellent advise , Oestrogen is your 1st/2nd and third reason to investigate and treat with.

For some of us ( me) it takes local and systemic oestrogen to treat there so called Vulvodynia which was/ is actually VA and still some ups and downs.

Just added Testosterone to the mix as the vulva has androgen receptors, and I no ladies where all V pain went with this combination.

I have also had laser treatment which has helped hugely . 😊

Good luck a sore/painful V is the pits.

Lucylocket

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 08:55:54 AM »

Thank you so much for your help I am so desperate for something to help me so am very grateful xx