Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Mood issues  (Read 1392 times)

Lorrmac

Mood issues
« on: February 27, 2018, 07:12:52 AM »

Good morning, cna anyone help me to work out if my mood issues are depression or hormone related? I am on oestrogen gel as I had a hysterectomy 6 years ago but my mood is awful
Thank you L

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Mood issues
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 11:35:05 AM »

Hi!  How were you pre-menstrually?  I would cry the night B4 a bleed, even if one wasn't due  ::)

Maybe keep a chart of your food, symptoms, mood?  So that you can see if there is a pattern.  How is your diet?  Low blood sugar can cause irritability, think of a hungry child  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 05:34:17 PM »

Hi Lorrmac

:welcomemm:

Can you tell us how old you are and if you had started on the menopausal journey before your hysterectomy? Also did you keep your ovaries or not? Finally how long have you been taking the gel and what dose? If this is the first time you have suffered low mood in your life and were generally fine throughout your menstrual cycle (subject to normal pms that most of us experience), and there is no reason in your life for you to feel this way - then it is most likely hormonal.  Maybe you need a higher dose or perhaps testosterone also especially if your ovaries were removed andf your libido is also low?

Hurdity x

Lorrmac

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 08:43:04 PM »

Hi
Thank you for the replies.
I am 48 and hadn't got any menopausal issues before hysterectomy and am on 4 sachets daily of Sandrena gel 1mg. I was on the pill before operation, no pre menstrual issues but had some post natal depression after my 2nd child but not long term. I was ok I think after my 3rd child.
I try and eat a balanced diet, don't exercise as much as I should but don't want to go out and meet anyone
L.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 11:25:26 AM »

That's OK!  Listen to your body.

Do you have hobbies that keep you occupied around house and garden?  Something that will absorb your thought patterns?  TV?  Crosswords?

Do you have to go out ......... looking at the weather, I'm reluctant even though it's an opportunity for a walk  ::).  But it's too much bother to find my warm clothes ..........

Relax.  This too will pass.  What do you *have* to go out for this week?

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 08:21:18 PM »

I am assuming that you had your ovaries removed too - hence the high dose of Sandrena? Can you ask to have your oestrogen levels measured to check whether you are absorbing it sufficiently? Also if you did have your ovaries removed, as I said before, it may well be that you need some testosterone too. There is some information here:

Role of testosterone after hysterectomy

If the ovaries are removed at the time of hysterectomy, as well as the estrogen level falling, there is also a 50% decrease in testosterone production. Some doctors recommend testosterone replacement along with estrogen replacement; testosterone helping energy levels, mood and libido. However testosterone replacement does not seem to be required by all and the ideal route and dose of testosterone for women is still being researched. It is therefore not routinely recommended following removal of the ovaries but can be considered for some women who do not fully benefit from estrogen replacement alone.

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/aftermeno.php

Re exercise - this is so important to feelings of well-being - can you go out for a walk daily - early in the morning or in the evening (when the cold weather eases!)? Can you go to a class at a largeish fitness or leisure centre where you don't need to talk to anyone unless you want to? At home: do step-ups and downs on your stairs (if you have them), squats, star jumps, sit-ups, all sorts?! You'd be amazed how good it makes you feel pretty quickly. Important to do proper stretches afterwards and ideally before too otherwise you will get stiff!

Hurdity x