Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hormonal Swings Post Menopause Anyone?  (Read 1309 times)

Kathleen

Hormonal Swings Post Menopause Anyone?
« on: March 01, 2018, 05:32:04 PM »

Hello ladies.

I'm nearly eight years post menopause and been fiddling around with HRT for five of those years but there is still so much I don't understand.

Whatever HRT I've been using I still have mild flushes and other symptoms so I assume that the dose has never been high enough however I also have times when feel well and  back to normal. I still have mood swings as well, so that I can feel calm and optimistic one day, or part of a day and then be overcome by anxiety and the jitters which comes on suddenly as if from nowhere!  Given that the hormones I am taking haven't changed what exactly is fluctuating do you think? Could it be my own oestrogen and progesterone even after all this time?

Everyone says that in post menopause everything calms down because your hormones have levelled out and there are no more fluctuations but my experience is different and I wondered if this has happened to anyone else?

I would be grateful for any comments from you lovely ladies as getting beyond frustrated now lol!

Wishing you all well.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hormonal Swings Post Menopause Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 06:32:17 PM »

It may be your own hormones over-riding the treatment.  Did you have mood swings during your menstruating years?

Dancinggirl

Re: Hormonal Swings Post Menopause Anyone?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 06:52:50 PM »

Kathleen - I am very post meno ( I'm 62) and abandoned HRT about 20 months ago because I wasn't really getting enough benefits from HRT. I was using the bio identical progesterone,Utrogestan, that resulted in problematic bleeding and though I felt good mentally, I was slightly ‘spaced out' and sedated.

If you have been trying continuous HRTs, I'm afraid any progesterone will give mood swings and even flushes - I was getting worse flushes with the Utrogestan!!!!!  Many women use the sequential HRT regimes because they then don't use progesterone all the time.  I'm also not convinced that higher doses of oestrogen are the answer - some women go to very high levels with no benefit.

I have found a calmer level to my life since coming off HRT.  I have really changed my diet - so small meals often - I do a lot of brisk walking and use lots of relaxation techniques to keep my mood and any anxiety/anger under control.

Why not take a break from HRT, if it really isn't giving you the benefits you need, give you body a few weeks without HRT and keep  diary to really assess whether HRT is right for you.  You may find you feel better off it.  I personally feel that the body simply won't play ball with HRT after a certain amount of time.
You could also get your thyroid checked?

DG x