Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Work-based menopause discussion group  (Read 1104 times)

ban-sithe

Work-based menopause discussion group
« on: February 25, 2018, 09:00:13 PM »

Hi everyone,
Since my first intro post on here, I've mellowed a bit   :)  (thank you for all the kind supportive replies!)

I've been mulling over starting a lunchtime discussion group about menopause at work. Given the number of whispered discussions in shared offices and kitchens, the frustration of colleagues w/ managers (or other colleagues) of all ages and genders who are oblivious/embarrassed/dismissive/downright hostile to acknowledgement of it, and my professional interest in emotions in career  management and leadership (kind of relates to health), I thought it might be useful and helpful in a whole bunch of different ways.

What do you think? Does anyone have experience in this sort of thing? Any advice, comments, etc. gratefully received. Thank you!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Work-based menopause discussion group
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 01:05:39 PM »

Hi.  Do you have a work place Nurse?

ban-sithe

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 06:18:42 PM »

Hello! That's a really good question. Now that I recall, in the place I worked there was one in occupational health. I'll find out. I've gatherd from colleagues they'd welcome a more overt and public discussion, especially to help develop more supportive environments and processes. One can but try....

Thank you!!!!

Lanzalover

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 07:10:08 PM »

I think it's great idea.

I recently had a male work colleague ask me about the menopause symptoms,HRT etc as his wife was just entering  the peri stage and he really wanted to help her but had no idea how. He does now ;D

Lanzalover x

ban-sithe

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 07:55:18 PM »

Thank you for the support! I was definitely hoping male colleagues could benefit personally and professionally. Lucky for your colleague (and his wife!) to be working with you  :)  I just came across a post where someone else mentioned they were thinking of doing the same. Need to track it down again. Cheers! xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 11:37:08 AM »

:rofl:  ....... we ROCK!

Maybe start off with a ladies group and see how many men would interact, some may prefer one-2-one discussions.  It might help to have a structure and agenda so that topics don't get lost.

Symptoms
Weight gain
Treatment
GP Support
Workplace support
Exercise and diet