Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: How do you know when you can come off HRT?  (Read 1856 times)

Henrietta

How do you know when you can come off HRT?
« on: February 24, 2018, 10:15:00 AM »

I'm sorry if thi shas been asked a thousand times before but I've been on HRT since I was 44 due to surgical menopause and now I am 50.
I have really been feeling cold in the last couple of months and wearing scarves, jumpers and coats , whereas I have been de icing the car in a t shirt for the last 5 years!
Could it be time for me to abandon the HRT?

Dancinggirl

Re: How do you know when you can come off HRT?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 10:53:12 AM »

NO!!!!!  It's been a very cold winter and we are at our lowest ebb at this time of year - I can rarely feel my feet these days.  I would continue to use HRT for at least another 3-10 years as it will protect your heart and bones for the long term, help prevent urogenital atrophy taking hold and unless you get bad side effects or you develop a medical condition that means you need to come off HRT, then you have everything to gain and nothing to loose by continuing with HRT.
If you want to take a break from HRT, to see how you cope, in a couple of years time, then maybe do that. DG x

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 11:51:29 AM »

I am permanently a very cold person, I feel the cold quickly, and my friends laugh at me as I am always in a long top but I would not consider coming off now have also been on since i was 40 and am now in my 50s I intend to stay on as long as I possibly can. :-\

dangermouse

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 12:05:46 PM »

Haha! This week I've gone from freezing cold in very hot rooms (similar to how was when younger) to walking about in vests with no heating on. I've either driven to work with the heater on full blast shivering or with no coat and the sun roof open - keep getting funny looks!

It does suggest something's changed though if you're not getting hot anymore. You may have come through! If you get on well with the HRT though then may be worth staying on as the others have said if it will do you good.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 12:29:14 PM »

HI Henrietta - just another thought; have you had your thyroid checked lately?  - if it's not functioning well then you would feel the cold more!!! DG x

Henrietta

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 02:15:12 PM »

Thank you all for your replies and for reminding me of all the benefits of staying on HRT.
No I haven't had any recent blood tests- maybe last done about a year or so back, maybe longer. I'd feel rather silly going to the Dr saying that I have been feeling the cold (like normal people)  as we are being visitied from the Beast of the East. It's just different for me.

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 02:19:24 PM »

I wouldn't stop hrt based on feeling cold.  It's doing far more good for you than that.  Like has been said, it's blimming cold this winter, I've always felt the cold but can't tolerate heat either lol, no winning with me

Also though as we get older our skin becomes thinner so that could be another reason x

Sarai

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 03:21:42 PM »

No don't ever come off, you need it for your bones long term. If you suddenly come off your bones will deteriorate very fast.
Have you had your thyroid checked?

Henrietta

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 04:50:59 PM »

No I haven't had my thyroid checked, this is a blood test isn't it?

Js

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 05:53:51 PM »

Hi ladies

I have been on hrt patches for over 10years with a couple of breaks but I can understand why you would want a break to see what's going on and whether you still get meno symptoms well i have been off it since October 2017 and the hot sweats /flushes are back  so I am going back on it as I have    Noticed aches pains in joints which I didnt have whilst on it . As long you have regular smear tests and mammogram if you are the age to,have them and have regular check ups when get review then I dont see a problem like myself I am aware of the risks and so I get regular checks . So if it makes you  feel better and relieves your symptoms then stay on it for as long as you can that's what I'm gonna due.

Js

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 06:05:26 PM »

Yes Henrietta  - it is a blood test (for thyroid). Other symptoms of underactive thyroid besides feeling cold are fatigue and weight gain (which can also be symptoms of other conditions). As the others have said it's not just about immediate symptom relief - it is also about long term health protection - bones, heart, bladder etc. I don't see the need to come off to see where you are re symptoms unless you are much much older!

Hurdity x

Henrietta

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 08:53:06 PM »

Last time I looked into all this , I had major fatigue and weight gain but Dr said thyroid was ok and I started taking B12 quite a high dose and gradualy I became less "crashed" in the afternoon. I have recently finished being a full time dementia carer as my father passed away so I have actualy lost some weight in the last month or two.
I have suffered with achy bits ever since my hysterectomy , never sure if it's joints or muscles , being overweight or fybromyalgia which the dr suggested, or the wrong level or type of hormones. I just feel pretty ancient for my age.

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 09:45:29 AM »

DO NOT be fobbed off with the fibromyalgia suggestion - which is what my doc suggested to me - but I went and got testosterone! Once they give you this diagnosis you have been written off!  Have a look at your thyroid readings and see what they are and if necessary ask for a referral or sadly - go and have private blood tests if you can. Thyroid function is one of the least well diagnosed and treated on NHS because often only one hormone is tested - which is TSH, when you should be tested for T3, T4 and anti-bodies. What were your levels? If you have symptoms (which could also be due to other things) do at least make sure you rule out underactive thyroid. As you have found, some mineral and vitamin deficiencies can also cause fatigue but the weight gain (and feeling colder than normal) is key as an indicator of slower metabolism. Have a look at thryoid UK website and they have a forum too. One of the members here used to help on that forum but she hasn't been on for a while - countrybumpkin.

Hurdity x

Henrietta

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 09:57:50 AM »

Hi- thanks Hurdity- I did go through teh thyroid web sites , a couple of good ones with great advice , probably about 2 years ago- I think that's what lead me to the B12. Perhaps it's time for re test.
Thanks

I wouldn't say I was feeling cold all the time, but just that I am now recognising that cold exists at the appropriate times- in the frost.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 10:01:15 AM by Henrietta »