Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Night Sweats 4am  (Read 3754 times)

Machair

Night Sweats 4am
« on: February 24, 2018, 10:15:29 AM »

Hi Ladies

Anyone else have night sweats that wake you up at 4am? I had an almighty one last night and woke up dripping and was almost dizzy with it. Oestrogen has been dropping for the last few days so I guess it is that, but why 4am- is oestrogen at its lowest then? Diet and blood sugars are all good so no issue there. Makes it hard to get back to sleep as it left me full of adrenaline.

Dancinggirl

Re: Night Sweats 4am
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 10:43:33 AM »

I think it is something to do with a sleep rhythms??!! If you aren't on HRT, then it would definitely be the lack of oestrogen.  It could also be when our blood sugar gets to its slowest as well - I suspect it's combination of many things. 
I do my Mindfulness when this happens which helps calm me and I often drop off again. DG x

Machair

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 10:54:11 AM »

Thank you so much Dancinggirl. Do you get this often or just sometimes? Are you on HRT?

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 10:58:48 AM »

When I was younger I worked nights and between 3am-5am mostof us would dip, our mood lower, lethargic and someone said those hours are when your body is at its weakest

Please please don't be alarmed but for sick/terminal/elderly patients it's a common time of night to pass away (seriously I'm not suggesting anything just that maybe it's because their bodies have hit a low)

Anyway back to my night shift days, by the time we'd clock off at 6am we were brighter and mood had lifted x

dangermouse

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 12:11:25 PM »

It's our circadian rhythms and when adrenaline is at its highest. I used to wake at 5am on the dot every morning with heaving nausea when my peri got bad. It's also the time when anxiety is at its highest.

It then falls gradually and is at a lowest mid morning and then gradually creeps back up to peak again at 5pm, then gradually down by midnight.

dangermouse

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 12:14:38 PM »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 12:27:25 PM »

I'm not on HRT now but if I'm going to get a night sweat, it will happen around 4am. DG x

Roadrunner

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 12:50:13 PM »

Mine are always around that time ....
RR

Machair

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 03:33:34 PM »

Thank you all so much for your replies they are all so appreciated :) Do these sweats at 4am make you feel anxious and panicky?

Js

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 06:03:57 PM »

I was on hrt patches for 10 years but as my meno nurse said you should come off it for a break so I have been off it since October 2017 and you guest it the night sweats are back I can have 2 or more during the night but as I'm Half asleep I can't be bothered to check the clock all I do is push the duvet off and wait till I get the cold chills which then wakes you up and pull the duvet back again I am also getting them during the day which is quite embarrassing as I feel I have to just take something off or fan myself with something to cool down . I am 59 so I came off it to see if I was past meno but obviously Im not so I'm going back on it
Js

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 09:32:57 AM »

Sorry to hear about your night sweats Machair. You are just emerging from your deepest sleep at this point so that could have something to do with it? I just had a quick look on the web and apparently blood sugar is at its highest around that time - normally - not sure if that was just in diabetics... if they (sweats) become debilitating would you consider HRT?

Js - continuing night sweats are no indication of menopausal status. You are post-menopausal if you have been without a natural period for 12 months ( if you have not been on HRT). At 59 you are most likely to be post-menopausal although there are a few very late-menopausers out there! Some women continue to have night sweats for many years and into their 70's. Some women will get them for a few months after stopping hRT and then they will tail off  - I think I read somewhere that 9 months is the recommended timte to wait to see if they stop. However once you reach 60 it's not worth waiting that long because then you might have a fight to go back onto HRT! Yes do go back on if you are otherwise healthy rather than suffer...

Hurdity x