Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Bleed starting before end of Provera cycle  (Read 1196 times)

Sunnydays

Bleed starting before end of Provera cycle
« on: February 10, 2018, 02:35:30 PM »

Hi, am taking 12 days of 5mcg of Provera from the 1st of each month alongside estradot. I'm getting a ‘good' bleed each month - last couple of months it's started on day 11 of Provera and this month on day 9. I've been continuing with the Provera upto and including day 12 however like many ladies out there, I want to keep the progesterone to its absolute working minimum. So, do you think that once the bleed starts in all it's glory that I could stop the Provera for that month?
I was always under the impression that bleeds started those few days AFTER the progesterone has been stopped. And in fact when I first started Provera, that was more  or less the case. 1 or 2'days after stopping, but must say it wasn't that much of a bleed.
There's no spotting inbetween and I have a scan every year - due in May I think.
I'm Keen to know what you other ladies think. Thank you :)

Hurdity

Re: Bleed starting before end of Provera cycle
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 05:41:35 PM »

Hi Sunnydays

Sorry your post seems to have got missed - this board doesn't get visited as much as All Things Menopause and New Members. Those are the only two boards I visit if in a hurry and sometimes only one of them when I'm v busy as recently!

Anyway your question.....it is quite normal to start the withdrawal bleed any time from towards the end of the progestogen phase of HRT through to a couple of days following withdrawal of the prog. Are you post-menopausal - I seem to think so?  I would have thought that taking a progestogen orally will potentially cause more variability in actual systemic levels as it is subject to the vagaries of your digestive system? It could also mean that your womb lining is more ready to shed and could be thickening more than it should - but you are having scans so that's OK. If you are worried about an early bleed then your doc should be able to arrange a scan on NHS - but this needs to be done immediately following the bleed so the lining is at its thinnest.

In terms of whether to finish the course - personally I always would as even if you have started to bleed, the progestogen is still doing its job. If you want to try a shorter cycle then you would need to have a scan after a few months. However you could always experiment and just stop the prog when your bleed starts and count that as day 1 - and then see when you bleed the next month or few?

Anyway - it does sound like you are not bleeding at the "wrong" time, nor that it is heavy or prolonged so I wouldn't worry unduly :)

Hope you haven't written us all off because no-one replied?!

Hurdity x

Sunnydays

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 03:33:17 PM »

Ah thanks Hurdity. Actually I did a honk that I'd should have put it on the other section plus I think there are fewer women using Provera.....
I hadn't thought about the fact of hat the lining could be building up more than it should hence th slightly earlier bleed. I did stop on day 11 this month so shall monitor it. As you say the scans keep an Eye on it and my annual (rip off price) one is due in 3/4 months. If it's built up a bit I shall take a larger dose of provera. Thanks again :)

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 08:51:39 AM »

"A honk"  ;D

Puts me in mind of geese!! I have a picture of all of us menopausal women pattering along in a line flapping our wings and honking!

I love phone autocorrect!!!

Hurdity x :)

Sunnydays

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 02:24:07 PM »

Yikes just seen that! Haha !