Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Vagifem  (Read 1145 times)

groundhog

Vagifem
« on: February 16, 2018, 10:49:27 PM »

Hi ladies, I know there have been loads of threads on this but......
As some of you know three years ago my life changed when my bowel perforated during a hysterectomy.  I'm 57 - I did have my ovaries removed during the hysterecomy but had t had a period for 5 years prior to the hysterectom6 and hadn't had any major menopausal symptoms.  The bowel perforation left me with a fistula which is devastating and I now have to wear three stoma bags.  The fistula causes a lot of inflammation in my body.
I'm having problems down below, itchy mainly.  I can't have sex since the hysterecomy owing to the fistula so I don't know if that would be painful.  I have no other real menopause symptoms although seriously depressed, that's down to the fistula.
My question is will vagifem do any harm?  I'm not sure what's causing the itching.  I d have burning bladder but my bladder was slightly damaged also.  So if I use vagifem and it's not oestrogen related, will it do any harm? I was prescribed vsgifem a few years ago ( I did have painful intercourse before the hysterectomy ) so I still have some here .
I'm just confused and don't want to make things worse for me xx

Daisydot

Re: Vagifem
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 10:54:13 PM »

Hi groundhog I would either see my gp as it may be an infection causing the itching and you'd want to rule that out before starting anything or you could email dr currie and she would advise you but to be honest I think it would be much the same advice I've offered.try see your gp or practice nurse and that would put your mind at rest.good luck xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 01:12:08 PM »

I think that you need to speak with your GP.  Or Practice Nurse.  In the meantime, use a good lubricant down there, i.e. KY Jelly internally and Slyc or similar on the outer lips. 

Certainly Vagifem shouldn't do any harm but I would get a new prescription . 

>wave<

groundhog

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 06:36:24 PM »

Thank you for your replies Daisydot and CLKD .
I did see gp and she said it looked like thrush and prescribed accordingly.  But I'm think8ng should I be using vagifem anyway as it helps keep things healthy doesn't it.
Oh I don't know ladies, I don't think it's thrush but see what Swab says

Thanks all xxxx

Daisydot

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 07:39:04 PM »

Hi groundhog sorry wasn't more help to you really at your age you'd do well to use vagifem anyway due to VA and it will also help you with your bladder issues.VA mimics Uti s and that feeling of rawness you get in your bladder and urethra stinging pain,I f your saying your gp has done swabs and results not back yet I'd go and discuss going back on vagifem,get a new script though as I think there's been some changes in the dosage if I remember correctly from what I read on here and it will ensure gp is aware of what your taking also slap on daily either vagisil prohydrate gel or sylk or yes or any good lubricant on outer areas you'll find it all helps.
I do hope you get some help and releif pronto it's not nice being that uncomfortable everywhere.Good luck xx

groundhog

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 09:32:24 PM »

Thanks again Daisydot.
It's difficult as I have no idea what is causing what,  I think it's all down to the fistula as there is a track at the top of the vagina ( long story sorry xx) but I think if vsgifem helps keeping tissues plump then it may help with healing but as CLKD said I a, between a rock and a hard place.  It's been going on for 3 years now ( since bowel perforated ) and I'm trying to carve out some kind of life with the fistula rather than waiting for it to go which it probably isn't.
I've given up on ever having sex again but I am sore down there . I will definitely use so,e kind of barrier cream or lubricant too x
Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply xx