Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: On premarin continuous could it be making me worse  (Read 1830 times)

Alua197

On premarin continuous could it be making me worse
« on: January 30, 2017, 06:15:34 AM »

Hi all
Been ages since I checked in her. Life fell to pieces overnight 3 years ago. Finally got diagnosed pre menopause but unfortunately was on antidepressants by then which never helped and now I'm in protracted withdrawal from those. Anyway have been on premia 2.5 for two years. It's a continuous regime of premarin and provera. I am still getting a period despite this regime. I have had minimal improvement on this regime and now am too scared to change as I'm pretty raw. Has anybody changed from premarin to something else and had minimal side effects? Insomnia bad and feeling nuts with all the crazy symptoms. Thanks ladies. Xxx :'(

Dancinggirl

Re: On premarin continuous could it be making me worse
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 11:05:51 AM »

Being on oral progesterone continuously can bring more PMT type symptoms. What about having the Mirena and then adding in some oestrogen - if you are peri meno this can be a great way to control problematic bleeding and giving the oestrogen you need to make you feel generally better.
Here is the section on this site about the Mirena:
MIRENA
Mirena is a levonorgestrel (type of progestogen) releasing system which sits inside the womb, gradually releasing the progestogen into the womb. It is licensed in the UK and Ireland as a contraceptive agent, for treatment of heavy periods and, from August 2004, also for the progestogen component of HRT. It can be used in both the perimenopause and postmenopause and it is particularly useful for:

Persistent progestogenic side effects from systemic HRT despite changes in type and route of progestogen.
When contraception is required along with HRT in the perimenopause.
When withdrawal bleeds on sequential HRT are heavy, after investigation if indicated. (see WHEN TO BE REFERRED )
With Mirena in place, systemic estrogen alone can be taken as the Mirena provides adequate protection of the womb lining and the estrogen dose and route can be tailored to meet the individual's needs.

Progestogenic absorption throughout the body is minimal so reducing progestogenic side effects. The effect of Mirena on the womb lining can significantly reduce bleeding and when used as part of an HRT regimen, in time, 30 to 60% of women have no bleeding at all. Although Mirena used for contraception is licensed for 5 years, the license for use for the progestogen part of HRT is currently 4 years.
Price: £88.00

DG x

Alua197

Re: On premarin continuous could it be making me worse
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 01:10:29 AM »

Hi ladies. Been a long time since i was on here.

I am still on continuous hrt but am starting to think maybe the continuous p might be responsible for some of the horrid symptoms i have had over the past few years. I am trialling taking the p every second day but am feeling very jittery and not sleeping. I have been doing this for a week. I realise i have been taking provera continuously for 3 years so there is going to be some fallout. I didnt want to stop it cold turkey so figured cutting back to one every 2 days might give me an idea of if im feeling any better.

I am on horsey estrogen which is not my preferred option but seems to be the only one that works for me. I have tried patches and gels but to no avail. My estrogen levels remained low even after using a 100mcg patch for 7 weeks without progestin.

I would welcome anybodys feedback about what symptoms progesterone intolerance creates and also if anybody had terrible withdrawals when stopping it.

Thank you so much.