Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Came off the contraceptive pill and wow, something going on.  (Read 1085 times)

Saffypig

Came off the contraceptive pill and wow, something going on.
« on: February 15, 2018, 12:48:48 PM »

Hi,

So i'm 48, and am still on the pill but been having no bleeds on my gaps.

I've made an appointment at the GP to ask for hormone tests, that's not until next week, but i decided to stop the pill.  That was 2 weeks ago.  I wanted the tests to be true and i thought i'll see if it prompts a period. It hasn't.

However i've thought for about 18 months i may be peri-menopausal, as my hair has thinned right out and i started having sleeping issues.  Last few months, i've been even more grumpy & teary, never ever been like that!

But wow, the last few days, my memory has been dreadful, i can't remember anything, i open a browser to look something up and it's gone.  I feel so spacey and wobbly. it's really freaking me out and is this is because my hormones could have dropped right down and the Pill was forcing artificial estrogen etc so counteracting my real hormones?

Also apart from Estrogen. progesterone and testosterone, what else should i be asking my Doctor to ask for, to understand if i'm in menopause.

Thanks Guys

dahliagirl

Re: Came off the contraceptive pill and wow, something going on.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 01:17:37 PM »

I did that at 49 when I was put on the pop - cerezette for 6 weeks followed by femulen. I stopped them when I had an op, then my period came back 9 weeks after that, after a cycle with mucus but no bleeding. So for 5 months, I thought it was all over :D

I had had reduced periods, night time sweats (had these for over 10 years but they really ramped up) loss of pubes and itching and more oestrogen withdrawal headaches from 45.

I was offered mirena and possible patches - maybe should have taken that up.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 01:20:57 PM by dahliagirl »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 01:47:18 PM »

:welcomemm:  sounds within normal limits from where I'm sitting.  Maybe keeping a mood/food/symptom diary would be helpful?  Over-haul your diet and exercise regime.  Browse round.  Make notes.

The Change can take some getting used to ! 

Saffypig

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 01:59:34 PM »

ok, CLKD not the response i was hoping for  ;D.

Jeez, if peoples memories are this bad, then i cannot have that. I'll have to go back on the pill for now, and look at HRT etc then i guess, as i have a mad job and this has really scared me. I really don't see why my life has to undergo an overhaul because of menopause  :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 02:13:42 PM »

It's in the name really: "The Change" ..... bugga  :whist: you are in good company.  We have a thread 'doing stupid things' as well as 'that strange woman'.  If you can remember to put them into the search box for a look see  ::).

What support does your work place have for women in menopause?

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 02:19:28 PM »

CKLD's diary is a very good plan.  I used to do basal body temp as well after my periods came back.  It gives you a good idea of where you are and is something to refer back to.  I find on a good day, I completely forget about the bad ones, and vice versa.

Your doctor may have some ideas (or not  ::) )

The mirena is a good plan if you are good with levenorgestrel.  It stops you having periods or reduces them, and you can add oestrogen as patches or gel.  It gives you contraception as well.  You do not get the week off problems with oestrogen dropping off a cliff that you do with coc.  It is good for 5 years with oestrogen.

There are also more meno friendly coc, like Zoelly and Qlaira.  They are a bit more expensive than usual though and one of them is phasic (I have always had problems with them - too much variation).

I put up with frequent, random and not very light periods for a couple of years.  I liked being off the pill - it was like a breath of fresh air.  However, I was getting fed up of waking up with painful joints and hobbling round, so asked the GP if I could go on hrt and she said she thought it was a good idea.  I also had ongoing vaginal problems which I initially thought was problems from my operation, but it seems to be hormonal and actually started when I was on the pill (with hindsight). She did not ask about the periods, and the hrt sorted them.  ;)

Saffypig

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 02:32:50 PM »

Thanks Ladies,

I'm an exec in a highly competitive,  mainly male company, as it's IT.  So although i appreciate support is useful, from a work perspective, i won't even mention it.  Which is fine, as its the way it is.

Yep, Agree on diary, i keep a food diary anyway as i'm a coeliac, so i can add to that moods, symptoms etc.

Thanks for mirena etc ideas, i'll do some research before the GP appt.  I'd love to come off the pill, but not yet it seems  :-\

dahliagirl

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 03:16:40 PM »

I hope your doctor is helpful.

Browse around and see what you can find.  There has been a bit in the press recently about menopause and work so there might be something useful around.

It is a good time to look yourself and look at your general health and make sure you are getting the right things to eat (which I am sure you are already careful of), exercise, and also that you are getting the holidays and relaxation you need - I am sure it is what any man would do  ;)