Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Pelvic & vaginal pain  (Read 2733 times)

shrimpette

Pelvic & vaginal pain
« on: February 09, 2018, 09:17:07 PM »

For the last 6mths I've had a strange feeling inside my vagina - almost like a tampon incorrectly inserted - sometimes sharp. Went to see the nurse practitioner who examined me and said I looked inflamed internally and discharge like Candida. She took a swab, I used pessary which improved symptoms, but swab came back as no Candida, just mixed bacteria. I have urinary frequency and pelvic pain. No blood I'm urine. I am 53 and 5yrs post menopausal. Is this classic VA? Apppointmemt with gynaecologist on the 15th but a bit concerned. No bleeding.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:32:14 PM by shrimpette »

ann58

Re: Pelvic & vaginal pain
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 09:28:55 PM »

Could be a prolapse as that can give a tampon feeling and also cause pelvic pain. Your gynecologist will be able to diagnose it.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 10:09:00 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM shrimpette

You have classic urogenital atrophy. You need local
Oestrogen and vaginal
Moisturisers. The practise nurse should have known this and made sure you were given the appropriate treatment.
Vagifem oestrogen pessaries are the easiest to use and for vaginal moisture I would recommend  SYLK or the YES products to be used at seperate times to the local oestrogen.  All this should be available on prescription but you can buy the moisturisers online.
Good you are seeing a gynae - hopefully they will give you the appropriate treatment. It should get better with the treatments I have suggested and you will need to use these things for the rest of your life. DG x

shrimpette

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 11:57:20 AM »

Thank you dancing girl. The practice nurse said she would not be able to prescribe any local estrogen. I've been in quite a bit of discomfort and urinary frequency at night just contributes to fatigue. Thank you for your advice and suggestions. Can VA cause pelvic pain too? A had a hysterography ? Less than a year ago and they also confirmed I didn't have a prolapse at the time. My GP didn't prescribe any local estrogen.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 01:57:10 PM »

GPs are really clued up about VA I'm afraid :-\ :-\ :-\
Pelvic pain could be your bladder playing up due to the lack of oestrogen.  Have a look at the forum list - there was a very good link to a film on Youtube about urinary urgency, atrophy and Interstitial cystitis.  It's a Urologist explaining what happens with urogenital atrophy.

Drink plenty of water -  not drink enough will make the urgency and frequency worse.  If your urethra is burning then try having half a teaspoon of bicarb of soda morning and evening for a few days
Avoid caffeine, fruit juices and alcohol and anything too acidic.
Don't sit down for too long and wear loose clothing - getting hot around our ‘lady bits' can help bacteria develop. 
Buy some SYLK and some Multi Gyn Acigel (get these online). The SYLK is for daily use and the Multi Gyn Actigel will help restore the flora balance in the vagina - so just use for a few days at a time when needed.   The Multi Gyn may sting a bit at first but you only need to use it 2-3 times a day for a few days - this will help fight bacteria and thrush and reduce irritation to the urethra and urinary tract. It is the bacteria from our guts that can cause the problems so make sure you clean really well after opening your bowels.

See your GP about getting some Vagifem - this is the best thing to use but you will still need to maintain the other strategies I have suggested. Just don't use the Vagifem at the same time as the moisturisers as it can effect absorption.

If your GP doesn't understand or want to prescribe Vagifem, here is the section from the NICE guidelines on the treatment for urogenital atrophy - I'd print this off an show it to him/her:

Urogenital atrophy
Offer vaginal oestrogen to women with urogenital atrophy (including those on systemic HRT) and continue treatment for as long as needed to relieve symptoms.
Consider vaginal oestrogen for women with urogenital atrophy in whom systemic HRT is contraindicated, after seeking advice from a healthcare professional with expertise in menopause.
If vaginal oestrogen does not relieve symptoms of urogenital atrophy, consider increasing the dose after seeking advice from a healthcare professional with expertise in menopause.
Explain to women with urogenital atrophy that:
symptoms often come back when treatment is stopped
adverse effects from vaginal oestrogen are very rare
they should report unscheduled vaginal bleeding to their GP.
Advise women with vaginal dryness that moisturisers and lubricants can be used alone or in addition to vaginal oestrogen.
Do not offer routine monitoring of endometrial thickness during treatment for urogenital atrophy.

I'm afraid VA is very common but women are embarrassed to ask for help - poor things. So many older women appear to have continuous UTIs and are given antibiotics when all they really need is some local oestrogen, vaginal moisturisers and a few other strategies.  Keep us posted. DG x

shrimpette

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 04:44:21 PM »

DG this is brilliant. Thank you so much. I've been struggling for a while with this and not got very far as you can see! I'll look for those items on line today. Will definitely keep you posted!  :)

JaneinPen

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 05:17:38 PM »

I too had UTI's off and on for two years and then for seven months without a break and each time was give antibiotics. Finally a clued up gp decided a cystoscopy was a good idea to rule out anything serious and then put me on Vagifem. What a difference this has made to my life. A Two week load and now three nights a week. Hopefully you will be given this too

shrimpette

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 06:05:41 PM »

Thanks Herdwick. So glad you got the help you needed eventually. All those unecessary antibiotics! 😕