Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Had no period for 6 months and Blood Test showing normal??  (Read 831 times)

nosymptoms

Had no period for 6 months and Blood Test showing normal??
« on: February 09, 2018, 11:25:36 AM »

hi i was just told by my doctor that i am not going through menopause, as i did the FSH blood test and it came back as normal
how do you explain that i did not have periods for 6 months? Is it peri stage?
i'm 47 and have no symptoms

thank you

Dotty

Re: Had no period for 6 months and Blood Test showing normal??
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 11:37:28 AM »

Blood tests are unreliable at your age and in peri stage.  Your doc should be going on your symptoms.

Shadyglade

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 11:38:37 AM »

I always understand those tests to be pretty unreliable and some women's periods do just stop. What explanation did your doctor give?

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 07:58:12 PM »

Hi nosymptoms

:welcomemm:

If you have been that long without a period and are over 45 then unless you are pregnant then menopause is the most likely explanation. If you are not experiencing symptoms then hooray! Lucky you - make the most of it! As said FSH is hugely variable during peri-menopause. Do you have your actual readings? Also are you taking mini pill or have the Mirena coil? Here is the info on testing for menopause from this website: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diagnose.php

If you want to read up about all sorts of causes of amenorrhea then have a look at this but really - it is most likely peri-menopause. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/amenorrhea/symptoms-causes/syc-20369299  Did you have any cyclical changes in the period of time leading up to your last period - eg longer or shorter gaps between periods, lighter or heavier flow?

If your periods don't come back within a few months - even if you have no symptoms it is probably worth starting a course of HRT at least until the average age of natural menopause of 51/52 to help protect your heart and bones?

Hurdity x