Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Terrified.....endometrium 18mm  (Read 3402 times)

KAH

Terrified.....endometrium 18mm
« on: February 05, 2018, 05:42:20 PM »

Hi ladies,
I'm hoping someone can shed some light for me. Ive been for a pelvic ultrasound today due to some pain on my left side in the ovary area. It's not all the time but just now & again, anyway I was in there ages, she did the ultrasound first then an internal scan too. She took SO many images it got me really worried. Then she said out loud to the nurse that I have an inverted uterus and a endometrium lining of 18mm.
I'm peri menopausal, still have regular periods and am at the end of my cycle (due on period around Thurs). I wasn't particularly worried before I went in there but having had a quick look online at what the lining should be, I'm now terrified!!!
Any advice would be gratefully received xxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Terrified.....endometrium 18mm
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 06:53:45 PM »

Trouble is with professionals they don't often think to explain what measurements might mean  :bang:

I expect that your womb will cleanse itself.  Did she ask your dates, menstrual history etc., did she suggest a further ultra-sound after the next bleed?

KAH

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 06:56:16 PM »

Thank you for replying.
She asked where I was in my cycle but literally didn't say another word to me throughout the whole scan until the end when she said to call my GP in a week and she'll talk me through the results. Her silence was very unnerving to say the least 😭

Optimist

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 07:01:11 PM »

The trouble is that most of these practitioners are not qualified to discuss the meaning of your results with you which of course causes anxiety while you wait for your results to go to your Gp.
Unless they actually have a consultant on hand they will only do their part and pass on to relevant health professionals. Hope you get some clarity soon x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 07:02:53 PM »

If it was 'serious' I am sure that she would have asked someone to speak with you.  Or for you to ring your GP tomorrow because communication is often by e-mail these days.

Let us know!

Mary G

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 07:08:32 PM »

KAH, I think this is a common problem in perimenopause because you might still be producing high amounts of oestrogen without enough progesterone.  Are you using HRT?

They will probably give you a high dose of progesterone to shift it.  The lining measurement varies a lot throughout the cycle and can go very high just before a period and if you don't produce enough progesterone, it could go even higher because you are not shifting it properly.  Also, everyone has a different base line/post bleed measurement and you might be someone who never gets down to a very low measurement. 

I read that it can easily go to 16mm immediately before a bleed on a 28 days cycle so you are not that far out. 

I hope that helps.

KAH

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 07:52:08 PM »

KAH, I think this is a common problem in perimenopause because you might still be producing high amounts of oestrogen without enough progesterone.  Are you using HRT?

They will probably give you a high dose of progesterone to shift it.  The lining measurement varies a lot throughout the cycle and can go very high just before a period and if you don't produce enough progesterone, it could go even higher because you are not shifting it properly.  Also, everyone has a different base line/post bleed measurement and you might be someone who never gets down to a very low measurement. 

I read that it can easily go to 16mm immediately before a bleed on a 28 days cycle so you are not that far out. 

I hope that helps.

Thank you for your replies ladies, you've reassured me somewhat. I don't take any form of HRT. I'm due to see my GP this week so even if the results aren't back I'll quiz her on what 18mm could mean. Thanks again x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 07:54:47 PM »

Will you let us know?

KAH

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 07:55:34 PM »

Will you let us know?

Yes of course x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 07:55:53 PM »

:thankyou:

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 07:47:16 PM »

Hi KAH - I wouldn't be at all worried. I mean most of us don't have scans while we are having periods so we wouldn't know what our endometrium measured. As Mary G says - the endometrium varies greatly throughout the cycle and is highest just before a bleed, and is also very variable amongst women and in peri-menopause.

Clearly you would like to know the cause of your ovarian pain - if any - but for a woman in your position - this is probably just on the thicker end of normal and hopefully all is well.

The time be concerned is for a post-menopausal woman to have an endometrium that thick and especially in someone not on HRT and who has experienced abnormal bleeding.

Do hope all is well :)

Hurdity x

Zara69

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 08:00:08 PM »

4 or 5 years ago I had erratic, heavy periods and almost constant right sided ovarian pain.  MRI, ultrasound and trans vaginal scans showed 16mm endometrium (If I remember rightly) and nothing re pain other than an atrophied ovary (don't know cause)...under a general I had a “scrape” and a womb ablation.  A biopsy was sent but everything was fine.  My consultant said at this time of our lives it's fairly common to have thick linings as sometimes it doesn't all clear properly due to hormone imbalance (that's how she tried to explain it to me). I know you may be different but try not to worry ...my ovarian pain did go eventually but it did last a few years!

KAH

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 08:03:37 PM »

Hi KAH - I wouldn't be at all worried. I mean most of us don't have scans while we are having periods so we wouldn't know what our endometrium measured. As Mary G says - the endometrium varies greatly throughout the cycle and is highest just before a bleed, and is also very variable amongst women and in peri-menopause.

Clearly you would like to know the cause of your ovarian pain - if any - but for a woman in your position - this is probably just on the thicker end of normal and hopefully all is well.

The time be concerned is for a post-menopausal woman to have an endometrium that thick and especially in someone not on HRT and who has experienced abnormal bleeding.

Do hope all is well :)

Hurdity x

Hi, thank you for your message. Saw my GP today and she said as I'm due my period this week, it is fine, I shouldn't be overly worried.
I spoke to her about my awful anxiety and she reassured me by reading through some of my recent blood tests. However it's done the reverse (bloody anxiety😭). My CRP levels are 5, she said they should never go over 5 as that would indicate something wrong but high levels up to 5 can be because of illness such as colds etc, problem is I've not had any kind of cough, cold or virus. Again worried sick 😭😭

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 05:29:56 PM »

What's the worst that could happen? 

Some ladies have anxiety prior to a bleed, maybe keep a diary about your symptoms etc.?