Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Article in daily mail  (Read 4339 times)

Dorothy

Re: Article in daily mail
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2018, 08:52:18 PM »

I  think more research or attention or attention needs to be paid to why some women have an easy transition and, for some, it is a living hell.  I find it fascinating that we all go through this same transition, and yet some are barely bothered by it and others are suffering badly.  There has to be something to that and I wish they would look into it.  Personally, I feel that the very gradual decline of hormones helps the body transition.  Not sure.......

I think part of it may be down to general health, diet and also attitude. But I also wonder if some people are just more sensitive to physical changes just as some people have more sensitive hearing, taste or touch than others.  So just as a very high pitched noise will be heard by some people but not others, so menopause symptoms may be felt by some but not others.

JaneinPen

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2018, 10:00:49 PM »

Replying to Samale and Connolly. It is true that Japanese ladies do not discuss things as openly as we would but the friends I had were nearly all ladies that had lived abroad at sometime and were much more willing to talk. Also have to wonder about the bmi as the friend that did suffer was also on the chubby side which with a western diet does often happen to the Japanese.  A lot of the young people today have a much more varied diet and so it would be interesting to see in years to come if their meno symptoms are worse for this

Kathleen

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2018, 12:06:08 PM »

Hello again ladies.

I would love to know more about the science of the menopause, for example what goes on at the cellular level when our hormones change and how much influence does body fat have?  My BMI is 21 but my menopause was on the late side at 54 so slim doesn't always equal early which is exactly why large studies would be helpful. Also the young women who give PCOS now may be heading for a different kind of menopause in the future.

Hopefully we'll learn more as time goes on and in the meantime we can always keep a beady eye on PubMed!

Take care all.

K.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2018, 12:27:10 PM »

I personally think genetics has a lot to do with how the meno affects us. A good lifestyle e.g. diet and exercise is important but it a bad menopause is indiscriminate - highly capable and confident women can fall apart when meno hits.   I am a life vegetarian and eat a diet high in isoflavines - I had a premature meno and, even with HRT, it's been tough.   Now off HRT, I do take Red Clover and think this helps a bit but to say the meno is 'simply in the mind' or an ‘cultural attitute' is outrageous. 
I am nearly 62 and been off HRT for over 18 months now - coping quite well but have had to tailor my life around what I am able to do. Still can't control my body temperature, still struggle to sleep, more troubles with joints etc.
I suspect the Asian genetics probably helps the body adjust better. 
100 years ago, the menopause wasn't really an issue - so many women died before they got to menopause.   If a women lived long enough and had bad meno symptoms, if she was lucky, she would lie on a sofa having the ‘vapours' BUT if she was unlucky she might be put into an asylum or undergo all sorts of horrendous treatments !!!

There is no doubt that more research and effective treatments need to looked into but the medical profession are very good at laying the blame, for all our ailments, on our lifestyle - so basically it is our own fault that we suffer!
DG x

If hot flushes are ‘all in the mind', why does HRT stop them??

Kathleen

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2018, 06:38:17 PM »

Hello again ladies.

I agree with Dancinggirl that a healthy lifestyle is important but as my GP said 'how do you advise women who are doing all the right things but still suffering?'.  He has a point.

My trusty meno book states that many of the worst symptoms disappear by our early sixties, so that's something to look forward to I guess lol!

Take care everyone.

K.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2018, 08:53:38 AM »

Meno symptoms may reduce when we get into our 60s but the effects of oestrogen deficiency go on....
Oestrogen seems to play such an important part of maintaining our health - it's not just about reducing meno symptoms.  Why aren't they doing more research into the negative effects of oestrogen deficiency long term? If it has been shown that 5 years of HRT in our 50s can actually lengthen our life by a year, improves quality of life and can reduce our risks of heart and bone disease, surely they should be finding a way to give us at least a small amount of oestrogen, well into our 60s and maybe beyond, to improve our long term health and thereby save the NHS money?

I also believe HRT reduces the risk of bowel cancer and so many older women suffer with urinary issues as well. They dish out statins blood pressure drugs and ADs/SSRIs so readily(all can bring nasty side effects) - maybe they would not be needed if a safer, easier and less problematic way was found to deliver oestrogen? Drug companies would make a fortune if they came up with something good.

I'm probably in dreamland - am I being an hysterical woman who needs to pull myself together? Though I am slim,  eat sensibly and exercise appropriately, I suppose the poor sleep, aching joints, flushes and lack of energy are ‘all in my mind'? If I'm suffering with oestrogen deficiency health issues, it's clearly ALL MY FAULT!
DG x

Emzee

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2018, 05:24:59 PM »

That's the mail for you!
Pages: 1 2 [3]