Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Long Distance Flight / DVT / HRT....  (Read 1887 times)

Vieja Bruja

Long Distance Flight / DVT / HRT....
« on: February 06, 2018, 01:45:18 PM »

Hi everyone,

I'm due to fly to NZ, I currently take 2.5mg Bisoprolol (beta blocker) and Elleste Duet 1mg - I'm obviously concerned about the risk of DVT, my aunty developed DVT after a long flight a number of years ago and she was desperately ill for a long time. 

I've spoken to the practice nurse this morning and she just recommended the usual (keep moving, keep hydrated and wear compression socks) and said that I could come off the HRT if I was really concerned.

I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience and what did you decide to do?

TIA x

Samade

Re: Long Distance Flight / DVT / HRT....
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 02:29:11 PM »

Hi,
I have a high dvt risk and am on a low dose hrt (half an evorel sequi) under a consultant at an nhs Clinic. The consultant said it was fine for long flights and recommended the same steps your nurse suggested and no need to come off hrt.

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 03:33:00 PM »

I have done long haul to the far east and did as above.  It is relaxing to take a turn around the deck.  One flight, they had left over snacks and water at the back, during the pretend night time,  so you could help yourself when you went to the loo, and you could see (nothing) out the window  ;D.  The bigger plane had this near a kitchen area, but less interesting places to walk to.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 05:47:38 PM »

Try not to worry too much. Although we connect DVT's with long haul flights we are at just as much risk from long car, coach or rail journeys. I think it's anything over four hours which can cause problems?

Taz x  :)

wombat62

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 09:53:01 PM »

It's sitting down for long periods in any situation, even workaholics who never move from their desks have had them.

No.1 is keep hydrated, sip water no alcohol and wear flight socks, they really do work. I used to get very swelly ankles but with the socks it really reduces it.

Choose an aisle seat so it's easier to get up and stretch your legs and have a walk to the loo. I love the window seat but now choose aisle as I get a bit stiff and need  to get up more, plus being stuck when the person on the end is asleep makes me feel trapped now.

Eat light food, most airlines now have a range of dietary options plus it also means you get fed first!!

Depending on your height check if there is a foot rest. If you're a shorty if the airline doesn't have them then take an inflatable foot rest because then the seat won't cut into the back of your leg or have your legs dangling which adds to the risk.

Take an aspirin before a flight to help keep the blood thin. Also take a jumper, most flights run cool and although they give you a blanket it helps to take an extra layer as being cold contributes to clots.

Do some stretches whilst waiting in the loo queue.

You'll also have a stop over to NZ so make the most of having a good walk around the transiting airport.

Win the lotto and fly first class.... ;D

Hope this helps from a seasoned traveller! Enjoy NZ it's a beautiful country!

Vieja Bruja

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 10:55:41 AM »

Thanks much for taking time to reply, you've all given some really helpful advice and I feel more reassured (I knew this forum would do that anyway).  I'm

wombat, I'm trying to win the lottery - how cool would it be to fly first class  8)

I'm flying alone so am quite anxious about the whole trip anyway.

Thanks guys, you're all brill x

wombat62

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 09:55:47 PM »

Hi

If you are a bit nervous then take some Rescue Remedy with you. You can also get a little bottle of lavender oil from the health food shops which you can rub on your temples to help sleep and ease nervousness.

Learn some deep breathing as well (in for four, hold for 7 out for 8) which will help calm you.

Have a great time!