Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT and peri  (Read 1284 times)

pamb

HRT and peri
« on: February 05, 2018, 03:02:19 PM »

Hi ladies

I started Evorel Sequi in December so I'm half way through my 3rd month on this HRT regime.   I have days where I feel better on it and other days I don't feel any different to before I started it.   It doesn't seem to matter if I'm on my estrogen only patch or combined patch, although I do have PMT symptoms on the combined patch which I used to get before HRT.

I'm just wondering that once I'm no longer peri (whenever that may be - I'm 55 in July) and I'm post meno, will I start to feel much better most of the time when my own hormones have settled down?

Thanks pamb x

Dotty

Re: HRT and peri
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 03:23:51 PM »

Not necessarily! My symptoms got a lot worse 3 years post meno

pamb

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 03:27:06 PM »

Were or are you on HRT Dotty?

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 09:31:06 PM »

Hi Pamb, I'm interested in your post as I may be in the same situation. I've only been on it 9 days so hoping it's just too soon to tell, sometimes I feel better but mostly I don't. Can you remember how long it took before you had much improvement? Have you asked your GP if there's anything that might suit you better?

Bettythecat

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 07:56:37 AM »

Hi I've been on Evorel Sequi for 5 months now and it took until the start of the fourth month before I felt better. Six weeks in and I thought ‘oh no what have I done?' My moods and anxiety were worse than before although it stopped the flushes (which hadn't been that bad anyway). But gradually I realised I felt great and that improvement seems to be continuing. I would just say stick with it because the levels of hormone have to build up before you can make a judgment. If you switch too quickly you'll not be giving it a chance to work. I hope this gives you some help xxx

Samade

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 09:15:09 AM »

Betty I've had the same experience about 4 months for me too, very gradual

Dotty

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 09:24:27 AM »

Pamb I'm on hrt now. Been on it for 4 months and on my 3rd type.

pamb

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 02:28:09 PM »

Thanks for the replies ladies.

Reading other threads on this forum I think the perimenopausal stage is the most tricky part of menopause as our own  hormones, which are very unstable at this time, are still wreaking havoc, and with the extra hormones from the HRT. we are experiencing a lot more problems than someone taking HRT who are postmenopausal and are having a steady dose of hormones from the HRT without the spikes from their own.

I'm still having my own heavy periods whilst still on the estrogen only patch so my own progesterone is causing PMT problems before I've even started the combined patch and then I have a lighter bleed from the withdrawal after I've finished the combined patch. 

I suppose it may have been better to wait until I was postmenopausal but on the other hand at least I'm getting some benefits from the HRT, which should hopefully improve once my own periods have ceased and I've only got the withdrawal bleed to contend with.

I'm going to persevere with the Evorel Sequi as I don't have any nasty side effects from this particular HRT regime.

pamb x

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 08:10:38 PM »

Hi pamb - if you are on the right dose of the right type of HRT - then yes you should feel much better once you are post-menopausal for the very reasons you state - that your hormones are no longer surging. Many women who do not take HRT  (and even some who do!) feel just as bad or worse two or more years post-menopause because oestrogen levels drop dramatically for the first two years following the last period and then gradually level out - although there can be some minor cycling for some years. The drop is oestrogen can signal a lowering of mood, vaginal atrophy and other hidden effects like bone loss, and deterioration of the cardio-vascular system - which can be slowed to some extent by taking HRT ( or local oestrogen for vaginal issues).

You might be able to gauge how far along the journey you are by what your cycles were doing before you started HRT - unfortunately to a certain extent age doesn't have anything to do with it - there are a few women on here ( ad presumably out there in the world) who still have periods at 58 + - but are in the minority. If your periods were few and far between and you are 54-55 then this may mean you could be near the end....hopefully....!

I'm glad this one seems to be suiting you :). Long may it last!

Hurdity x

pamb

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 11:24:21 AM »

Thanks for the reply Hurdity.

My periods before HRT were fairly regular albeit sometimes a week early or late so I presume I've still got a way to go, although my friend just stopped completely after having regular cycles - not sure I'll be as lucky.

Having read other women's journeys on here I suppose I'm not doing too badly all things considering.

pamb x