Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Coming off HRT  (Read 1227 times)

Lynne13

Coming off HRT
« on: February 01, 2018, 10:09:20 AM »

Hi I'm having to come off indivina 2mg as have a breast scare. How long does it take for the hrt to be out of my system please?

Dancinggirl

Re: Coming off HRT
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 12:26:43 PM »

Sorry to hear this Lynne13 - the oestrogen levels will drop pretty quickly if you are post menopause.
HRT is unlikely to cause breast cancer but if you develop oestrogen receptive BC then it's important to reduce any oestrogen in the body generally. 
Don't let the doctors and nurses make you feel in any way guilty for using HRT as I believe the latest research is showing that HRT is unlikely to increase the risk that significantly - once we are into our 60s I think we have a one in six chance of developing breast cancer anyway - being overweight, smoking and drinking too much alcohol are the biggest risk factors.   After all, HRT does protect the heart and bones and helps prevent urogenital atrophy - there are pluses and minuses to all things. 
Good luck DG x

Lynne13

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 12:47:18 PM »

Thank you, I am post menapause. Thank you again for your help. Just hoping my hot flushes do not return as great as they were. It may be receptive therefore having to do this. Will it be weeks or months please?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 10:23:34 PM »

WE are all different - if meno symptoms return they may not be as bad as before - once in post meno, I have found they are less severe.

Hopefully there is no cancer or it's just pre cancer, which is very easily treated.  Learn some relaxation techniques e.g. Mindfulness, to help you through this stressful time. If flushes etc do return, then they may settle in a few months.
Keep us posted.  Good luck. Dg x

Js

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 06:51:27 PM »

I can off hrt to see if I was still getting symptoms I have been on hrt 10 years I'm now 59 I'm getting hot flushes still but didn't get them on hrt so how do,you know when your over the menopause when your symptom. Free I suppose  any advise?? Please

Js

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 08:39:00 PM »

Sorry to hear about your breast scare Lynne13. When I stopped HRT back in 2011, symptoms started to come back after a few weeks and by 3 months night sweats were back sufficiently to disturb my sleep - although by that time they hadn't yet come back as badly as they had been prior to starting HRT - and may not have done. However I decided to re-start HRT before they had a chance to do so. As Dancinggirl says they may well not return (as badly) for you either.

If after several months you find them intolerable there are several prescribable treatments for those who cannot take oestrogen and there is a paper which discusses the recommended times. From memory Paroxetine and Flouxetine are especially recommneded I think. I know these are anti-depressants but some of these do work well on hot flushes and can be invaluable for those who cannot take HRT even those who are not depressed.
This is the link:
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2053369117711646?hootPostID=6690d93930a10b86869c48433ab506e7

Hurdity x