Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Why isn't progesterone cream prescribed in the UK?  (Read 1746 times)

Dandelion

Why isn't progesterone cream prescribed in the UK?
« on: January 31, 2018, 11:28:59 PM »

Hi

I'm addicted to valium and on micronised progesterone.
I used sequi 200mg 12 days a month, and on the 16 days I wasnt on it I started going mental, due to the sharp fluctuations of GABA as valium and progesterone metabolites are cross tolerant.
There are loads of experiences on benzobuddies where women who have tapered stop progesterone, and end up back in acute withdrawwl and horrific experiences.
I cannot taper down micronised progesterone but if UK GP's prescribed the cream, I could taper that down gently over time instead of suddenly stopping micronised progesterone.
I reduced my estradiol patch from 100mcg to 75mcg as I was worried that 100mg prog daily didnt oppose the oestrogen. My periods stopped but hopefully thats because I might be post meno now hopefully. I darent go to doctors in case they stop all hrt then i would be in trouble, as stopping my progesterone would be like taking a HUGE cut in valium which would be catastrophic.
I get flushes now I am on 75mcg estradiol patches but darent go down to 50mcg as I noticed my anxiety really increased a few weeeks after reducing from 100mcg to 75mcg by cutting my patch.
Anway, proper prescribed prog cream, not the stuff you buy, would be really useful, I don't want to be reliant on doctors to supply me any meds, natural or not for the rest of my life, as there are still so many doctors who refuse hrt.

Annie0710

Re: Why isn't progesterone cream prescribed in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 11:55:40 PM »

I haven't heard of it in a cream, not proper prog anyway, just the weaker stuff.  I replied to you on another thread not realising you meant proper prog x

Abba Fan

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 09:41:33 AM »

Have you thought about getting the Mirena coil fitted? I had the same problem as you when I was tapering off a benzo. I had the Mirena coil fitted and because I had constant progesterone my taper was not so painful to deal with.

Dandelion

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 03:44:31 PM »

I haven't heard of it in a cream, not proper prog anyway, just the weaker stuff.  I replied to you on another thread not realising you meant proper prog x
Thanks, I will look on the other thread. In the US you can get proper bio id prog on prescription not the dangerous otc stuff.
dunno why UK dont do it but I'll read your reply, thanks

Dandelion

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 03:46:23 PM »

Have you thought about getting the Mirena coil fitted? I had the same problem as you when I was tapering off a benzo. I had the Mirena coil fitted and because I had constant progesterone my taper was not so painful to deal with.
Hi can I pm you, I would like to discuss this with you with me also tapering benzos.
I take 100mg utrogestan a day, thanks for the mirena idea but i am worried that theree is less prog in the mirena than there is in utrogestan 100mg, and that i will go into a withdrawal state, because progesterone is cross tolerant with diazepam.
Thanks

Abba Fan

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 06:19:12 PM »

Of course you can Dandelion.