Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Estrogel and continuous Utrogestan - bleeding?  (Read 3374 times)

willotty

Estrogel and continuous Utrogestan - bleeding?
« on: February 13, 2018, 02:05:37 PM »

Hello, I wondered whether anyone else is taking this combination, and whether you have had any bleeding on it? I started this particular combination 5 weeks ago, having switched from the Evorel conti patch, which didn't suit me, but I have been bleeding for the last 2 weeks and wondered whether this is normal?! I am 54, and had my ovaries removed last August, as I was having problems with bleeding then, and had all sorts of tests to rule out cancer etc, so I know that it is nothing sinister, just really annoying and draining.
Thank you
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:01:21 PM by willotty »

Dancinggirl

Re: Estrogel and continuos Utrogestan - bleeding?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 05:43:34 PM »

Yep, I had this with Utrogestan and it's why I stopped using HRT- it's not a very powerful progesterone so you are more likely to get erratic and problematic bleeding. It may settle over the next few months - bleeding and spotting can occur with any conti HRT initially. If you want an easier no bleed option then I'd have a Mirena fitted. DG x

willotty

Re: Estrogel and continuous Utrogestan - bleeding?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 06:00:33 PM »

Oh thank you - I have had 3 Mirenas now, and I chose to have the last one removed during my op, in case that was causing some bleeding - that may have been a mistake  :(. I hope this stops soon - the unwanted bleeding was the whole reason why I had the hysteroscopy & partial hysterectomy last year!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 06:20:27 PM »

The Mirena is popular amongst many gynaes because it will shrink fibroids and often sorts problematic bleeding. If you had had the last Mirena for more than 4 years then it may have run out of progesterone so this could have resulted in bleeding.

I had the Mirena is post meno and used Oesgtrrogel alongside and I must say that is was my best HRT regime.  DG x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 06:53:16 PM »

Oh thank you - I have had 3 Mirenas now, and I chose to have the last one removed during my op, in case that was causing some bleeding - that may have been a mistake  :(. I hope this stops soon - the unwanted bleeding was the whole reason why I had the hysteroscopy & partial hysterectomy last year!

Hi willotty. If you've had a partial hysterectomy, which is removal of the womb but leaving the cervix, I'm not sure where you are bleeding from? Sorry if I'm being daft  :-\

Taz x

willotty

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 08:51:54 AM »

No, Taz2, I had my ovaries & tubes removed, leaving my uterus intact. this was checked for any nasties & all Ok, despite the lining being a bit thickened x

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 11:09:24 AM »

Ok. A hysterectomy is removal of the uterus. I think you've had an oopherectomy (not sure on spelling). That makes things clearer  :)

Taz x

willotty

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 12:47:48 PM »

Yes, I have, I just thought people wouldn't know what I meant! 😜

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 12:56:26 PM »

;D

It was confusing that you didn't have a womb yet were still bleeding so I'm glad we've cleared that up  :)

Taz x

willotty

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 04:59:17 PM »

Aha, ok, sorry! Anyway, I am really just trying to establish whether the bleeding is fairly normal when starting on this HRT x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 05:57:07 PM »

YEs, bleeding and spotting in the first few weeks or even months on any continuous HRT regime is quite normal. DG x

willotty

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 09:16:27 PM »

Ok, thank you. And breathe.....! x