Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Menopausal Arthragia  (Read 2131 times)

lifeatfifty

Menopausal Arthragia
« on: January 29, 2018, 08:54:16 PM »

Sorry to start a new topic - I've read some of the old ones on this subject but none answered my questions.

I potentially had a virus last week - nothing major, a bit achy and little bit of a raised temp but enough to take a couple of days off work #9which I never do).

4 days ago I developed aching joints - neck, shoulder, wrists, knees, feet. Neck is better than it was but in the evenings turning my steering wheel or turning over in bed really hurts.

My doc says probably post-viral arthralgia!
Could this be menopausal arthralgia as I have also been having some night sweats again (although that could also be viral).

So my question is can menopausal arthralgia affect ever every joint at the same time?

Any light on the subject would be appreciated.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Menopausal Arthragia
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 08:58:51 PM »

Wikipedia: The term "arthralgia" should only be used when the condition is non-inflammatory - I had to look it up, not being clever or anything  ::) 'when it's inflammatory, it's arthritis'.

As oestrogen levels drop so the muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  If the body has been fighting a germ then maybe it will ache during and as the immune system throws off the germ.  Sounds like it's a 'flu-type virus?  Have you been advised about pain relief? 

lifeatfifty

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 10:27:21 PM »

Hi CLKD,
he explained that probably an immune response which should 'probably' subside in 7/10 days. Iboprofen is best but my tummy doesn't tolerate it well.

He did explain that if an immune response then inflammatory markers would not show, so no point taking bloods. ! I was just wondering if it could be a drop in estrogen but major joints extremely painful. In the past I've had small joint issue due to hormonal fluctuations.

Thanks.

Salad

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 10:28:09 PM »

Years ago, in my early twenties, I developed really painful joints after being unwell. My GP at the time felt it was related to having a Strep throat infection. Thankfully it subsided after a couple of weeks.

Roll on thirty years and the menopause brought with it a long list of painful joints, muscle and tendon pains - relieved by HRT

Now I find out that being Vitamin D deficient also has symptoms of joint and muscle pain (and sweating) ::)
 - so I guess I'd say give it a week or two to see if it resolves. If not, rule out low Vitamin D, if thats ok then it seems likely to be menopause related.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 12:07:33 PM »

If it ain't one thing, it's the next  >:(  ::)

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 02:19:08 PM »

I find that I need magnesium as well as vit D if my joints are aching.

Lots of things help, but nothing actually seems to stop it altogether, but it gets a great deal worse if I stop my vitD.

Movement and ibuprofen help.

Salad

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 05:00:15 PM »

If it ain't one thing, it's the next  >:(  ::)
I find that I need magnesium as well as vit D if my joints are aching.

Lots of things help, but nothing actually seems to stop it altogether, but it gets a great deal worse if I stop my vitD.

Movement and ibuprofen help.

Too true CLKD!

Would appreciate any insight into the Vitamin D route dahliagirl as it's a new thing for me to juggle- as if HRT wasn't enough  :D
I'm on D3- doctor prescribed and  Magnesium (definitely helps) and K2 from my own research.

Sorry to hijack your thread lifeatfifty  :foryou:

Joaniepat

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 05:19:31 PM »

Lifeatfifty, don't let this joint pain go on for too long before going back to your GP. I had this (described as reactive arthritis) a few years ago. It started in my hands and wrists after a throat infection, but soon went to every major joint in my body. Joints became swollen and very painful. In the end, out of desperation, I saw a rheumatologist privately as the NHS waiting list for rheumatology was so long. She prescribed steroid tablets which did the trick.

The menopausal point is interesting, as my oestrogen replacement had been stopped by my GP about 3 years before this episode. I sometimes wonder if things would have been as bad if I had still been taking it.

JP x

lifeatfifty

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 08:44:43 AM »

Thanks everyone.
It's been a week now so will return to doctors at the start of next week (if I can get an appointment)!

I do take vit D3 and a good amount of Magnesium glycinate.
Your right about K2 helping absorption.

Thank you Joaniepat - was the rheumatologist able to explain what had happened in your body?

I had a bit of a virus last week and then last Friday all joints swollen and inflamed!
 I have had small joints in toes, fingers and wrist play up when my hormones had dipped in the past.

Joaniepat

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 10:07:08 AM »

Not that I remember, it was just thought to be the immune system going a bit mad after the throat infection.
JP x