Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Help which hrt  (Read 1730 times)

crazywomen

Help which hrt
« on: January 25, 2018, 09:49:16 PM »

Hi all I haven't been on here for a very long time, I have managed to come through the mood stage still married thank goodness. The hot flushes have kicked in big style I don't think I can keep off hrt any longer but really worried about the side effects etc please help

aspie65

Re: Help which hrt
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 08:18:20 AM »

Try the oestrogel/utrogestan combination, from what I know this is your best chance for no side effects.  In fact I went on it this month and I have had zero side effects.  Don't be put off by the horror stories you may read, thousands of women go on HRT without a problem.  Good luck.

crazywomen

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 09:29:36 AM »

Hi thanks for the reply I was reading about the gels yesterday I have an appointment today at gps and think it is the side effects that worry me but I need to sleep my husband agrees I can't go on like this we have the windows open even though it's winter no heating on upstairs I have tried a few herbal things but nothing is touching the flushes x

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 07:03:55 PM »

Like aspie65, I would say definitely the Oestrogel/Utrogestan regime.  Not only is it a very effective form of HRT, it also offers maximum dose flexibility making it easier to control your symptoms.  If you are worried about side effects, I would push for it and say that this is the regime you want to try.

Good luck. 

crazywomen

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 09:15:20 PM »

Hi thank you for your replies sorry my heads all over the place today silly worrying over taking hrt I got the gel I wanted just not clear instructions on how to take it I have read the instructions but my minds a fog suffering with a chest infection has well. Our doctor said she has only just started prescribing this and has only prescribed to ladies who have no womb . But she has been to conferences about it x

aspie65

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 08:56:22 AM »

I struggled with the application for a while.  Basically you should let it cover an area equivalent to 5x7 inches.  As I worked out this is about 35 inches squared which could also be 2x 17 for long thin arms; or 3.5x10.  This helped me a lot.  I also used a stop watch on my phone at first to see how long it took to dry as it should be absorbed between 2-5 mins.  Hope this has helped and not confused you further!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 12:26:08 PM »

crazy women - keep an open mind.  The Oestrogel with Utrogestan is a good regime but not perfect for every women.
The best idea is to print out the relevant sections from the TREATMENTS section at the top of this page to show your GP - saves time. 

On this site: The Utrogestan is under ‘progesterones'  and the gel under ‘Oestrogens'.
Useful to know:  Utrogestan may not be listed under HRT of the GP's ‘drugs' book so tell him/her to look for Micronised Progesterone. 
If you don't want to use Oestrogel, some prefer to use oestrogen patches instead of Oestrogel.

It can be worth considering a combined pill HRT e.g. Femoston 1/10 as this often suits many women really well - it has the kinder progesterone and sometimes pills are just easier to manage and less hassle.  I personally didn't get on well with Utrogestan  - we are all different so respond differently to the various HRT types. 
Don't look for side effects - HRT can banish those flushes and restore sleep in a few days or weeks - in other words, give you you life back. Don't forget that a few years of HRT in our 50s will protect your heart and bones for the long term - so there is much to gain.  It's about finding an HRT that gives the most benefits with the least hassle and side effects. DG x

crazywomen

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 08:23:41 AM »

Hi all thanks for your replies going to start the hrt today am I better to put the gel on night or morning ? X

Dotty

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 08:25:45 AM »

Morning but you take utrogestan at night
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 08:27:48 AM by Dotty »