Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Prolonged bleeding....please help !  (Read 3706 times)

Lou02

Prolonged bleeding....please help !
« on: January 27, 2018, 08:41:42 AM »

Hi ladies,

I've been a lurker for a while and think the support and advice you give to each other is great.

I've been in perimenopause for about 7 years. It all started with adrenaline surges, skipped heartbeats, acid reflux and the odd late period. As the years have gone on there have been many symptoms that have come and gone again.

In the last year I've only had 7 periods. A 40 day gap to January 17; normal in Feb & March;a 92 day gap to June 17; normal in July; a 50 day gap to August; normal in September then a 112 day gap to January 18. All the bleeds have lasted about 5/6 days with a couple heavier days and then tailing off.

I started my period 17 days ago and for the first week it was quite light but since last Friday it's been continuous and heavier than normal. I'm not doubling up on sanitary wear but when I change regularly it's soaked. At times in the day I feel it may have stopped then I have another hush (sorry tmi).

Ive been to the GP (Locum) who has prescribed tranexamic acid. I'm yet to start taking it as was hoping it would just stop on it's own. Has anyone else had an experience of prolonged bleeding as I'm starting to get worried. I'm 48 and feel like I'm falling apart!!

aspie65

Re: Prolonged bleeding....please help !
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 08:52:47 AM »

Tbh if you are not happy with the locum I'd go back and see a different doctor.  With all your symptoms it could be worth considering HRT it would probably help with most if not all of them.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

Roseneath

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 10:13:47 AM »

Hi Lou2. I can sympathise with the stress changing periods bring in perimenopause. I am 48 and started to get longer (7-11) day periods an and also some brown mucus mid cycle which lasted from 3-5 days. My GP thought it was just perimenopause but sent me for an ultrasound to check for fibroids / cycts and I also had a cervix check. I have found that as peri continues the length of the mid cycle stuff and actual periods was more strung out to the extent I felt there was always some  discharge there 70% of the month. Towards the end my periods were very heavy too which was new for me. I went back to the GPs several times for  reassurance and I would suggest it is worth going back too for peace of mind. Then one month I skipped my period and there has been no discharge at all; all gone for 8 weeks now. So yes make an appointment for peace of mind as I know worry can eat you up. I wish I had worried less!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 10:22:45 AM »

Hi and welcome Lou02

I'm afraid your experience is all too common in the peri stage.  However, a scan may be a good idea to check what is going on - there could be fibroids playing up.  Try the Tranexamic acid - apparently it can be effective but some investigations would be good idea at your age - if only for your peach of mind. A Gynae might well suggest having a Mirena fitted that would protect your uterine lining and prevent problematic bleeding.  The Mirena then allows you to use some oestrogen alongside to prevent meno symptoms. 
If your oestrogen levels are dipping, then at your age some oestrogen could be a good idea but you do need to get this bleeding diagnosed and sorted first. 
It is terrible that we women are educated about puberty but the menopause is left as a mystery we just have to cope with.  It can be all very frightening - this site is here to help. 
Make an appointment with a GP at your practice who is clued up about the meno (ask the receptionist) and go back with your symptoms, concerns and questions written down.  Your periods have been tapering off, which is normal for peri meno but to suddenly get such heavy and prolonged bleeding, well, this should be investigated - it's a real nuisance and probably making you feel unwell.   You should at least have a blood test to look at FSH and oestrogen levels. DG x 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 11:55:05 AM »

Yes, it could just be a heavy build up of the lining. I'm afraid the peri stage can be very challenging and worrying - hopefully the acid will settle things.  The fluctuations and falling of the oestrogen levels does mess with head as well - it's your ovaries slowly packing up, working some months and not others.  Many women find they become more anxious about health and everything - all normal meno symptoms.   HORMONES!!!!!!! DG x
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 12:09:54 PM by Dancinggirl »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 11:59:01 AM »

Try what the GP has prescribed?

renewmyyouth

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 02:48:33 PM »

I am 49. At age 44 I ever had prolong very heavy bleeding of over one month and at age 47 I had prolong bleeding of 3 months continuously. I have no symtoms now because I adopted some helthy lifestyle changes.
1.   I exercise regularly
2.   I eat less red meat and chicken
3.   Daily rubbing of high quality essential oils like Ylang Ylang, Geranium and Cobaiba on the womb area.
4.   Daily massage the tummy with a brush in circular motion.
5.   Daily intake of Resveratrol. It is very beneficial for women in menopause. It makes young cells last longer, super-charging health and well-being.
-Delays cell aging with Resveratrol, a unique antioxidant shown to extend lifespan.
-Defends against free radical damage linked to many health issues.
-Supports improved cardiovascular function with anthocyanin.
https://tinyurl.com/goodformenopause
6.   Daily intake of Primrose oil and fish oil.
7.   Practice the 4-7-8 breathing exercise and breath through the diaphragm. it's recommended to sit with your back straight while learning the exercise. Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth and keep it there through the entire exercise. You will be exhaling through your mouth around your tongue; try pursing your lips slightly if this seems awkward.” This is followed by the five-step procedure listed below:
     -Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
     -Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
     -Hold your breath for a count of seven.
     -Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
     -This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
Weil emphasizes the most important part of this process is holding your breath for eight seconds. This is because keeping the breath in will allow oxygen to fill your lungs and then circulate throughout the body. It is this that produces a relaxing effect in the body.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 05:26:02 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM renewmyyouyh

Thank you for sharing such a great relaxation technique. Relaxation is so crucial and together with good lifestyle choices can help everthing. Sadly many women do so much to help themselves regarding diet, exercise and relaxation but still find the menopause challenging. Oestrogen defiency can cause significant long term health problems as well - particularly if levels drop low too early. I do believe that it's about a range of strategies that help us through this stage in our lives - you can't expect HRT alone to fix everything.
DG x

am#

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 09:14:27 PM »

Hi I have had similar problems , and was prescribed tranexamic acid when i was given a scan as they saw lining was thick , at the same time they took a biopsy and i am currently having progesterone injections to see if it sorts it out , the tranexamic acid helped with the heavy periods but no since the injection i've had no period so not needed to take it now , i have had some light spotting the last few days .

Some of my peri symptoms seem to have gone , i fell much better head much clearer , memory blanks have gone , no fuzzy head , and i don't feel like packing up and leaving home!!
i would get it checked out if it's getting you down , will they give you antoher scan?

Annika

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 10:07:42 PM »

When I hit 54 I started having bouts of prolonged bleeding sometimes lasting up to three week but didn't think to much of it. After 5 months I started my period as usual and this time it just didn't end. Seven months of bleeding non stop ended with me becomng very weak and anemic. Don't let anyone tell you that its normal to bleed for months on end its not. Finally I asked my doctor for a hysterectomy and she rushed me in right away, best thing I ever did. I had many ovarian cysts and fibroids but she felt that it was hormones that caused the problems. Up until then I always thought that periods would just fade away as you age but for some of us thats not the case at all. Good luck and hope you can get things sorted out.( I should mention that I used tincture of Sheperds Purse couple drops in warm water slows and in some case stops bleeding...I think had i not used this tincture things would have been worse. You can get it on Amazon)