Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: oestrogel and mirena  (Read 1513 times)

Stephjkm

oestrogel and mirena
« on: January 26, 2018, 11:21:02 AM »

I have had a mirena iud in place for just over a year to control heavy bleeding/flooding which, although slow to stabilise, is very effective.

After struggling with low mood, irritability, tearfulness and night sweats for about a year, I went to my GP yesterday and was prescribed oestrogel 2 pumps daily, which I have started today. How soon can I expect to notice the effects on my symptoms?

I'm really hopeful that this regime will sort me out.

Dotty

Re: oestrogel and mirena
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 11:23:03 AM »

The advice is to give hrt 3 months to work although you may notice improvements before that x

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 06:57:20 PM »

Stephjkm, you should start to notice a difference after a couple of weeks.  That is a very good HRT regime and works well for most women.  It's good that your doctor prescribed Oestrogel because not only is it a very effective form of oestrogen replacement, it gives you complete flexibility and control over the dosage.  If you need to, you can increase to 3 pumps of gel everyday and the worst that can happen is you have an occasional bleed - the Mirena coil will keep your womb lining thin and will shed automatically if it starts to build up.

Good luck and please keep us updated on your progress.

Stephjkm

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 09:31:07 PM »

Thank you both for the responses.

Reading this forum and a fb page gave me the confidence and knowledge to suggest to my GP what I really wanted, she was excellent, took it all on board, pretty much followed the NICE guidelines to the letter and was very supportive. My first visit to a new GP practice and I fell on my feet!