Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: calcium  (Read 1343 times)

Ruby10

calcium
« on: January 25, 2018, 09:38:32 AM »

Does anyone take calcium tablets now they are in peri or menopause? What dose are you supposed to take during this stage in life to help protect bones?

Dancinggirl

Re: calcium
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 10:03:31 AM »

Diet high in calcium and weight baring exercise e.g. brisk walking, are both essential. HRT will help maintain bone density.  If there is a family history of osteoporosis or you experience a premature meno or have other health reasons that make you more prone to reduce bone density, then ask for a scan.   Supplements can be beneficial but Vitamin D is essential to help absorb the calcium.  If you don't get at least 15 mins of sunshine per day, every day (preferable on arms or legs without sunscreen), then vitamin D deficiency often occurs. It is strongly advised you take a good dose of Vitamin D in winter.

The brisk walking or other weight baring exercise are top of the list - great for keeping blood pressure down and lifting mood as well. DG x

Ruby10

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 01:58:24 PM »

Thanks DG

Stephjkm

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 02:33:43 PM »

I'm don't drink milk and am at risk of osteoporosis (osteopaenia on bone density scan) so I take 600mg calcium with vit D each day, as well as trying to include a yoghurt and some cheese in my diet daily. I also try to walk for an hour a day to increase bone density and I started hrt today.

Hopefully all that will help to maintain my bone density ☺

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 05:07:16 PM »

That all sounds sensible Stephjkm.
Soya, oat or coconut milk all have added calcium.
DGx

Stephjkm

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 09:24:09 PM »

That all sounds sensible Stephjkm.
Soya, oat or coconut milk all have added calcium.
DGx

Thanks DG, your responses are always very encouraging ☺