Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1049 times)

Kathmul

Hello
« on: January 29, 2018, 04:17:24 PM »

Hi, I am 51 and started menopause 8 yrs ago, went for HRT and doctor diagnosed underactive thyroid at the same time. Medication has helped with that and my symptoms lessened, so have carried on without HRT. But recently started with really bad flushes - all day and night and the insomnia is back with a vengeance. Saw nurse last week and my thyroid seems to be playing up, so medication increased for that, but the doctor is thinking HRT may help, only problem I can see is that my blood pressure is high ( am currently monitoring this). Was starting to feel quite down until I joined this site and now realise so many of you going through the same.

I am amazed by the wealth of advice there is on here and how supportive everyone is.

Daisydot

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 04:24:44 PM »

Hi and welcome Kathmul.I can't give much advice some of the more knowledgeable ladies will be along shortly,what I would say is if you can monitor your bp at home as we all tend to suffer from white coat syndrome at the surgery so don't nessesarily get true readings mines is perfect at home but high at docs as I hate going.im on transdermal hrt and vaginal tablets/cream and I'm 60 now so that's considered as safe as in my case.keep reading and posting you will get plenty support here from the lovely ladies,good luck xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 05:34:14 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Kathmul

Getting the blood pressure down is essential but does not mean you can't have HRT. Can have a look at lifestyle? Dietary changes and getting more exercise can really help with blood pressure.
Read up all the factual info on this site to get clued up. DG x

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 08:47:15 PM »

Kathmul, sometimes high blood pressure is caused by low oestrogen so HRT might help to regulate it.  My mother and aunt both developed high blood pressure post menopause so it is a bit of a chicken and egg situation.  Unfortunately low oestrogen creates all sorts of problems including thyroid function (which you probably already know) and cholesterol levels so I can understand why your doctor wants you to try HRT.  I hope it works out for you, it's definitely worth a try. 

To give you some encouragement, although I don't have an actual problem with any of them, my blood pressure, thyroid function and cholesterol readings are all improved with higher oestrogen levels.