Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: How do you know when you no longer need progesterone replacement?  (Read 1289 times)

Trufflecat

Hello
I haven't posted for a while as the combination of 4 pumps oestrogel plus 7days/month utrogestan seems to help (although I could murder everyone thanks to the utrogestan, but it's still an improvement on pms).

I apologise if this has been answered already, but a search didn't pick it up. My question is: If you are on combined hrt then how do you know when you have reached the menopause and no longer require the progesterone part?
Thanks

racjen

Re: How do you know when you no longer need progesterone replacement?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 10:33:46 PM »

I'm not sure if I've understood your question properly Trufflecat, but my understanding is that if you have a womb and you're taking estrogen you also require progesterone to protect the womb. It makes no difference whether you're pre- or post-menopause, your womb lining will build up regardless because of the presence of estrogen, whether it's your own or from HRT. Obviously if you stop using HRT once you're thru the menopause that's a different matter, but I don't think that's what you're asking....?

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 11:23:01 PM »

As racjen says if you are on HRT and still have your womb then you will need the progesterone element to prevent the development of endometrial cancer.

If you are on sequi HRT then you can switch to continuous HRT from around the age of 53/54 I believe. This should mean that you don't then have a monthly bleed although a lot of women do have troublesome bleeding for up to the first six months of conti HRT. Hope that helps.

Taz x

Trufflecat

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 08:31:06 AM »

Thanks ladies 😀 I am 54 and have been on hrt for 3 years but my periods hadn't stopped when I started taking it. I know that if you're post menopausal when you start on hrt you can just take oestrgen. I was wondering whether if you start before your periods stop you are on progesterone for ever!

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 09:20:00 AM »

Trufflecat, the only women who can take 'just oestrogen' are those who have no uterus, whatever their age.
JP x

racjen

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 10:12:37 AM »

Trufflecat, the Conti patches that you can progress to if you're post-menopausal do still contain progesterone, it's just that it's given continuously so you don't get a bleed. The only way to be on HRT without progesterone is to have a hysterectomy  :'(

Cassie

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 11:32:23 AM »

you will always need progesterone no matter how old you are and how far into meno you are unless you are wombless.

Trufflecat

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 04:15:49 PM »

Ok. Thanks. That does clear things up. I couldn't care less about the bleed but I don't react well to progesterone and can't take a lower dose than I do now!

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 12:31:08 AM »

It sounds as if it will be better for you to stay on sequi HRT rather than swap to conti?

Taz x

Trufflecat

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 11:36:45 AM »

I think so!